Trip Planning: Itinerary Help

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

sgerbs
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Trip Planning: Itinerary Help

Post by sgerbs »

My family is planning a trip to the east end of the island in June 2024. We will probably be taking the Ranger III out of Houghton. If that's the case, it appears we won't get in to Rock Harbor until 3pm. Is it possible to get a campsite at Threemile that first night? Or will it be filled up? My kids are 11&12, so I know they can hike some miles, but with a late start, I don't necessarily want to push to Daisy Farm on the first day. Could I get a water taxi after arriving or would I have to wait until the next day?
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Trip Planning: Itinerary Help

Post by JerryB »

If later in June, it may be crowded. Heck, it is more crowded than a few years ago at any time. But 3 Mile is pretty big and i am sure you will find something. Worst case, you can use an overflow site or double up at a tent site.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

There's a good chance you won't score a shelter and a lesser chance you might need to share a tent site, but even with the newly found popularity of The Island, June should not be nearly as crowded as the later Summer months. There will also be folks staying at Three Mile CG that night who are planning to return on the Ranger the next morning. Your daylight hours in June extend to 10 PM ET (last light even later) so pushing on to Daisy could be possible as you reevaluate everyone after arrival at Three Mile. It's good you're contemplating potential difficulties as the weather, The Island and other things can always throw you curve balls. Having a plan B (each day) is well advised.

The water taxi does operate that late in the day, especially to just Daisy Farm or Moskey Basin, but you should make a reservation (through the Rock Harbor Lodge). It's possible sometimes to book last minute after arrival but no one should rely on it. Also, water taxi availability is sometimes weather dependent so, Plan B. You did not express your planned number of days. If it's short and you can afford it, the water taxi can be an excellent way to extend a short time budget in order to experience more.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
sgerbs
LNT Expert

Post by sgerbs »

If we take the Ranger III, we will be there for 4 nights. We would head over on Tuesday and come back on Saturday. The short time budget has me thinking about the best loop for what my kids can handle. Perhaps we could take a water taxi to Moskey Basin on Tuesday (weather permitting), to give us a chance to explore a bit more than we could if we were just hiking.

Also, what is Rock Harbor campground like? We would probably be staying there our last night.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Rock Harbor is a very large campground, with easy access from the Ranger's dock. There's a 1-night stay limit at most times, so be sure to consider that in your planning. Like all Isle Royale campgrounds, it's actually a collection of separate tent sites (and some shelters), and in busy seasons people end up doubling up on the tent sites often.

If you can manage it, a water taxi to Moskey would let you make an easy and lovely trip back:

Day 1: Arrive and water taxi to Moskey
Day 2: Moskey to Daisy Farm
Day 3: Daily Farm to 3 Mile, if you have the energy you could go via the Greenstone (longer but very picturesque, also might harder hiking). If not, take the Rock Harbor trail for a much flatter walk.
Day 4: Return to Rock Harbor, stay the night, leave the next day. There are lots of day hikes available nearby: The Stoll Trail, Suzy's cave, etc.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

dcclark wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:34 am Rock Harbor is a very large campground, with easy access from the Ranger's dock. There's a 1-night stay limit at most times, so be sure to consider that in your planning. Like all Isle Royale campgrounds, it's actually a collection of separate tent sites (and some shelters), and in busy seasons people end up doubling up on the tent sites often.

If you can manage it, a water taxi to Moskey would let you make an easy and lovely trip back:

Day 3: Daily Farm to 3 Mile, if you have the energy you could go via the Greenstone (longer but very picturesque, also might harder hiking). If not, take the Rock Harbor trail for a much flatter walk.
Day 4: Return to Rock Harbor, stay the night, leave the next day. There are lots of day hikes available nearby: The Stoll Trail, Suzy's cave, etc.
I concur! If you have the time and energy, you could also day hike without the packs from Daisy up to Mt Ojibway or from Three Mile up to Mt Franklin to get the ridge views.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

By all means, try to get up to the Greenstone Ridge, especially if the weather is clear. The panoramic views are spectacular. The hike from Daisy Farm to Three Mile along the Greenstone Ridge (via Mt. Ojibway & Mt. Franklin) is not much greater in distance (only 0.7 mile) since the route is trapezoidal. There is no technical hiking or climbing, just modest elevation changes. It's actually easier in some regards as the footing along the shoreline can be rocky and tree rooted. Plus you'll get to experience much more of the flora and fauna of the swampy valleys (there are boardwalks) and the geology of the ridges. The experience from Daisy Farm to Three Mile along the shoreline is very much similar to that you'll have already gotten from Moskey Basin to Daisy Farm.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
sgerbs
LNT Expert

Post by sgerbs »

dcclark wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:34 am Rock Harbor is a very large campground, with easy access from the Ranger's dock. There's a 1-night stay limit at most times, so be sure to consider that in your planning. Like all Isle Royale campgrounds, it's actually a collection of separate tent sites (and some shelters), and in busy seasons people end up doubling up on the tent sites often.

This sounds like a good itinerary that my kids could handle. Thanks for the advice. I definitely want to get up to the Greenstone (my wife and I hiked it from West Chikenbone to Windigo on my only trip to Isle Royale in 2009). I think going from Daisy Farm up to Mt. Ojibway and then east along the Greenstone before heading to Threemile would be a great third day.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

If you stay at Rock Harbor, be sure to do the day hike to Scoville Point on the Stoll Trail. The kids will love it
Bobcat1
Bushwacker

Post by Bobcat1 »

If you’re planning your last night in Rock Harbour anyway, know that it is very common to hike in from 3-mile quite early in the day(7am is not unusual, before noon is typical). Set up your campsite or shelter, and then spend the day hiking Scoville Point, canoeing Tobin Harbor, taking the day’s MVSandy excursion, and eventually taking showers and having dinner at the lodge grill. See if the evening ranger program is of interest to your family. Lots to do in RH! I never hear much about it, but the Raspberry Island nature trail is pretty interesting and goes right through a big bog with interpretive signs to help you learn.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Bobcat1
Bushwacker

Post by Bobcat1 »

Another way to extend your time on the Island is to take the IR Queen from Copper Harbor. Gets you two additional half days, one at each end just because of the timing and speed of crossing.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC