What are you doing this winter?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

What are you doing this winter?

Post by fonixmunkee »

Well, Isle Royale season is over for the year. I got out once, but was planning to go twice. It seems I've been thwarted the past 4 years trying to make it out to the place I love so much more than once. Hopefully, I can change that next year with some volunteer work.

I apologize for my lack of presence on the forums. It's been a busy fall here...moving, work work and then some more work, a little bit of travel (for leisure this time), and trying to get in a few late-season rounds of golf. Since I haven't been around and not able to catch up on the going-ons around here, I thought I'd see what everyone has planned for the winter.

For me, it's mostly skiing. Work has calmed down, so I think I can make a few trips. I plan on hitting the UP at least three times to get in some turns. I also really want to look into one of those yurts in the UP that you can snowshoe/ski to. Johnhens has talked about them before, and they seem like an amazing trip. So I'd like to throw that in.

I also plan on doing some more cross-country skiing this year. I did a 10k race last year, on a whim, and had a lot of fun (save for one giant blister). I'd like to tie that into one of my trips to the UP, maybe even going to one of those little yurts.

Enough about me. How about you all?
greg
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 28

Re: What are you doing this winter?

Post by greg »

Actually I just finished planning out my itineraries for May and late June backpacking trips to the island. Winter is a time for hiking in state parks down in Illinois, writing, reading, and looking forward to the next opportunity to get back to IR.
Greg M. Romaneck
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'm planning on enjoying the opportunity of introducing my 16-month son to the pleasure of playing out in the snow..
I'll get a little XC skiing in, a few trips up to the South Shore/Apostles, and mostly enjoying what drives many people out of the great white north. Perhaps one more hunting trip or two...

I'll also desperately and patiently await the countdown to 2010, when I'll finally feel that it's OK to start a "2010 Trip Log" post over in the Trip Reports section... Probably right on Jan 1! :lol:
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Planning my Winter Trip to IR.

No really!!! :lol:

Snowshoing, reading in front of the stove and watching it snow!!
Tree cutting at Nachusa Grasslands, ice fishing, making an igloo with my niece, maybe a trip to the UP to enjoy the beauty of Winter there!!!

Canoecopia in March!!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I know it is a little early, but I'm drinking a beer (toasting) to all you. Hope to see you on the Isle next year, "Happy New Year one and all!". I'm to old guy (solo).
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by head2north »

Happy New Isle Royale Year 2010!!!!!!!!!!!

As bitterly cold it is to be this evening up on the island, i will
allow myself to dream a few moments watching the sunset
at Todd Harbor tonight.
"Now I see the secret of making the best person: it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with earth" - Walt Whitman
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I'm hoping to try the Minong next year. Any advice for a solo hiker.