Purchasing a season pass

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Purchasing a season pass

Post by Kelly »

Has anyone had experience purchasing a season pass?

nps.gov says that an individual season pass "can be obtained in-person from the Houghton, Rock Harbor, or Windigo Visitor Centers."

I'll be on IR long enough that a season pass is cheaper than paying the daily user fee.

I'm coming in from Grand Portage on the Voyageur II. Am I correct in assuming that the Windigo Visitor Center will be open on Wednesday so that I can purchase the season pass?

I can call tomorrow, but I was hoping someone here had experience. Thanks!
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Purchasing a season pass

Post by fonixmunkee »

Last I've heard, the NPS Season Pass that works at all the National Parks DOES NOT work at Isle Royale, but maybe with the new online payment system, that has changed. Hopefully someone else who has some contact at the NPS can fill us in.
Nym90
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Nym90 »

There is a seperate IR season pass. I would assume that is the one that can be purchased at any visitor center, as opposed to the NPS pass for all parks that as you mentioned isn't valid for IR.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Nym90 wrote:There is a seperate IR season pass.
This is news to me. Keep us posted here on your findings!
irhikers
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 25

Post by irhikers »

https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm
Entrance Passes:
Isle Royale Individual Season Pass - $50.00
Valid from April 16 - October 31 of the year indicated. Can be obtained in-person from the Houghton, Rock Harbor, or Windigo Visitor Centers. Covers the user fee for the person whose signature appears on the pass. Best for those individuals spending 13+ days in the park. Non-refundable and non-transferable

We purchased the Individual Season Pass one year when we were on the island 15 days in 2006. We actually purchased them (we purchased for both of us) by calling the Houghton Visitor Center and if I remember correctly, they mailed the passes to us.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

I just bought mine the other day at Houghton. Yes, the Windigo Visitor's Center will be open as that is where you will fill out your itinerary.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

I was on the island last week, and purchased a season pass at Rock Harbor when I was getting our itinerary setup. No problems, and I was able to pay with my credit card. The other 3 in my party had paid online, and we were asked to show a receipt for those payments.