Family trip planning

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Topic author
newb2019
NewbieCake

Re: Family trip planning

Post by newb2019 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 pm

chief54 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:11 pm
more than happy to share images, I have a website also. gonna use motion sensing camera at night around campsite, over the years have had numerous visitors at night mostly moose and fox but who knows. during day will use off trail some where and see what there is to see.
Maybe you'll even get some wolves on camera...

Which brings me to a question that's been on my mind: how do I keep an active 5-year old from appearing like prey to wolves? He will sometimes run off alone down a trail.

I saw mention of Thermacell mosquito repellent in a magazine I was reading. I'm wondering if this is safe/effective/allowed method of keeping mosquitoes away from the cooking/eating area by the cabin during dinner time? Does anyone have experience with it?

JerryB
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by JerryB » Tue May 07, 2019 1:24 pm

I have used Thermacell at home. I THINK it helps but I am never sure (maybe I would not have been bit anyway). Definitely affected by winds.

I doubt you have much to fear from wolves, unless your five year old wanders quite the distance from you. If that is the case, you have all sorts of things to worry about. Some of the trails can be dangerous, with drop offs to one side. Never really a problem for simple hikers, but a running toddler,....

chief54
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:38 pm

As JerryB said wolves should not be a problem. I have a five year old grandson and I would not worry but I would try not to let him out of my sight, I know sometimes easier said than done. Believe it or not but I have been going to IR since 1965 and have never seen a wolf, heard them a lot and seen lots of sign but have never seen one.
first visit at age 10 in 1965 numerous times since then, 30+ times

Topic author
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Since I asked about Thermacell, this might be useful to others:

It uses a butane cartridge, so wouldn't be permitted on aircraft. I'll order to WalMart for pickup.