New Windigo Store

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

New Windigo Store

Post by HikerGal »

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what the status of the construction of the new store they are building at Windigo is? I know they were working on it last fall, and I am sure its completion is delayed, but just curious how much is done. I really like the old store, and sitting on the deck with a pizza and beverage, so I am fine with having just one more year to enjoy the view from the deck. Just dreaming about my trip at the end of June (instead of mid-May)...
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Re: New Windigo Store

Post by kolo »

I really like the old store, and sitting on the deck with a pizza and beverage, so I am fine with having just one more year to enjoy the view from the deck. Just dreaming about my trip at the end of June (instead of mid-May)...
Me too! One of the things I like most about visiting Isle Royale is sitting on the deck of the store on a nice afternoon, soaking up the sun and the view, drinking a cup of coffee or a beer, and talking with other members of the tribe!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Amen to kolo's comment.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Unfortunately the old building is falling apart. Definitely will be a different vibe down by the water.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
IRexpat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by IRexpat »

Thread bump.

Heading up this weekend, so I guess I'll find out soon enough, but did they finish it? What'd they do with the old structure (which apparently dates to the 1890s, in parts.)
It's not Heaven, but they can see IR from there...
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Pics I've seen look pretty much done, needing railing on porch. Don't know about inside. I doubt they'd move in the middle of the season, but who knows? Talking to the manager a few years ago, it didn't sound like there was much to save of the old building, at least not in her opinion.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

The new one is looking great but not done yet!

Edit: I took picture 2 weeks ago
Attachments
New store
New store
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Can we still use the old store for our needs?
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

jerry wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:27 pm Can we still use the old store for our needs?
yes for now!
NorthernMagna11
NewbieCake

Post by NorthernMagna11 »

I'm staying in Windigo from 1-9 September and an wondering if the store will still be open at that time. Also wonder if supplies will be limited, as the season is ending...
Am bringing my sea kayak and would like to paddle to rainbow cove, weather depending. Has anyone that's paddled there had difficulty with the point that sticks out, after Grace Harbour and how rocky is the water close to the shoreline. Thanks for any assistance...
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

The store is open til 9/11. But supplies will be limited as they don’t reorder late in the season, especially perishables. Hard to say exactly what they may be out of though.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Ingo wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:42 am The store is open til 9/11. But supplies will be limited as they don’t reorder late in the season, especially perishables. Hard to say exactly what they may be out of though.
I still shed a tear when I think back to that day in September when I was so hopeful, but they were out of ice cream.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

NorthernMagna11 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:56 pm I'm staying in Windigo from 1-9 September and an wondering if the store will still be open at that time. Also wonder if supplies will be limited, as the season is ending...
Am bringing my sea kayak and would like to paddle to rainbow cove, weather depending. Has anyone that's paddled there had difficulty with the point that sticks out, after Grace Harbour and how rocky is the water close to the shoreline. Thanks for any assistance...
You can stay close to shore. SW, W or NW wind could make paddling challenging. Long paddle from Windigo.
JavaHiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by JavaHiker »

I've made that paddle a number of times. Lots of rocks and boulders near the shoreline. Wind is crucial, as John mentioned, and Cumberland Point can be difficult with constant clapotis waves even it it's not breezy. You see fewer people paddling after mid/late August because Superior becomes more unpredictable with cooler weather. It's around six miles to Cumberland Point, and another mile and a half until you reach the first sand on the beach. Follow all Lake Superior kayaking guidelines: wetsuit (if not drysuit), full sprayskirt, minimum 16 foot kayak with a rudder. Definately take a marine radio, monitor NOAA weather offshore forecasts constantly, and be prepared to change your plans.

With west winds forecast to be gusting to 25 mph this Thursday and Friday, we may skip trying to make it to Rainbow Cove/Atwood Beach and stick with Grace Island/Grace Harbor for safety sake. I've always wanted to hike to the top of Washington Islands, so this may be the trip.

NorthernMagna11 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:56 pm I'm staying in Windigo from 1-9 September and an wondering if the store will still be open at that time. Also wonder if supplies will be limited, as the season is ending...
"Observe. Absorb. Create. Share."