Shelter Graffiti

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

vitz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Shelter Graffiti

Post by vitz »

Although I do not condone it, however we all read the writings and look at the drawings in the shelters. Sometimes they can be very entertaining. What was your favorite?
Attachments
100_1093.jpg
jonrwall
NewbieCake

Re: Shelter Graffiti

Post by jonrwall »

Here was one that I took last week (june 26thish)
Attachments
Isle Royale with Cheese 021(1).JPG
Isle Royale with Cheese 021(1).JPG (198.17 KiB) Viewed 22609 times
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I remember seeing the "ceiling light" drawing. This is one of my favorites. It was in shelter #5 at Rock Harbor.
Attachments
26bg.jpg
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I don't remember what shelter I saw this in (Chippewa Harbor?), but someone had drawn a checkerboard on the floor of the shelter and left light and dark stones on it for the next players.

I thought that was kind of cool.
jkahler
NewbieCake

Post by jkahler »

Outhouse graffiti can be pretty funny after a few days in the woods.

laqtis
NewbieCake

Post by laqtis »

I don't have an online copy of it, but there is a really creative picture in one of the shelters at McCargo Cove. It's in red and I think black/blue ink.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Quite frankly, I hate it. Especially when they decide to take a bowie knife and carve the shelters up while they're defacing the walls with their permanent markers. Worst ones I've seen are up at McCargo Cove. If I wanted to look at this stuff, I'd just take another drive through SW Detroit.
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

Damon S wrote:Quite frankly, I hate it. Especially when they decide to take a bowie knife and carve the shelters up while they're defacing the walls with their permanent markers. Worst ones I've seen are up at McCargo Cove. If I wanted to look at this stuff, I'd just take another drive through SW Detroit.
+1
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
laqtis
NewbieCake

Post by laqtis »

I'm torn between the appreciation of the artwork and the "devaluing" of the IR experience. Some of the stuff looks like public bathroom stuff, but a few really are creative. I just wish that the art would be located somewhere else outside of the shelter.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I must say that I love and look forward to viewing the artwork that is found in shelters along the way. At times it gives my girlfriend and I something to laugh at, at times it gives us something to look at in awe and amazement, and at times it gives us a sense of history behind those that have traveled to the shelters before us and what types of experiences they had to share. I thoroughly enjoy being surprised with what I see scribbled in the shelters and will admit to even being inspired to do a little artwork of my own. It saddens me to observe how some of you take offense to the graffiti. I understand there are occasional people who write things that are crude and distasteful, but outside of these lunkheads, what harm is there in someone leaving a mark of of his or her reminisce. Just one man's opinion. I'd love to see more artwork if anyone has some to share.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Rafiki wrote:I must say that I love and look forward to viewing the artwork that is found in shelters along the way...It saddens me to observe how some of you take offense to the graffiti...I'd love to see more artwork if anyone has some to share.

Perhaps, you should donate to the "artist in residency" program. Your love of art might be better served.

Graffiti is defacing public property. I go to Isle Royale to get away from disrespectful "lunkheads".

If you need more "history" of the park, buy a book from the parks gift shop.

Rules are made for a reason.

I say, "stay on the mainland", if you have difficulty following a few simple rules. :idea:
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

That's what the notebooks (if provided) are for in the shelters. Write and express your "artistic" side to your hearts content in that thing,,,but not on the walls inside shelters. Again, I think it takes away from the backcountry experience completely.

Funny how the least graffiti/clean shelters I've ever experienced were at Duncan Bay. Pretty well isolated and definitely less used.

Most of the crap drawn and carved on the shelters is completely inappropriate anyway. Just what I would want my kids seeing when I take them packing on IR. When they fling the door open and see a big penis drawn on the wall. Yeah, I'd like to see more of that sh**.
dmercer
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by dmercer »

I guess these buttonheads missed the LNT orientation. Makes you wonder, do they do this to the walls in their homes too?
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

I have never participated in the defacing of a shelter. However, I do enjoy going through them and reading how clever some people can be.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Damon S wrote:That's what the notebooks (if provided) are for in the shelters. Write and express your "artistic" side to your hearts content in that thing,,,but not on the walls inside shelters. Again, I think it takes away from the backcountry experience completely.

Funny how the least graffiti/clean shelters I've ever experienced were at Duncan Bay. Pretty well isolated and definitely less used.

Most of the crap drawn and carved on the shelters is completely inappropriate anyway. Just what I would want my kids seeing when I take them packing on IR. When they fling the door open and see a big penis drawn on the wall. Yeah, I'd like to see more of that sh**.
With regards to your first paragraph, I can cannot attest to visiting any shelters that had notebooks in them when I went to Isle Royale last spring.

With regards to your second paragraph and the last sentence of your first paragraph, I understand your need for isolation and escape from the rest of the world that buzzes around us in our daily lives. The graffiti, at least to you, seems to take away from the seclusion of the experience that you yearn for on each trip that you take to the island. The graffiti, from my perspective, allows me to make a psychological connection with the travelers that proceeded before me and presents me with a laugh or two, or maybe even a smile, to know of the things that others encountered or experienced along the way whether or not they were completely different or similar to my own experiences. In the end, most of us that go to the island are all looking to "get away" and be at peace within our minds, the graffiti is just another way for me to connect with similar minded people. Do I go to the island to get way from people and urbanization that I leave behind at home? Yes. However, oddly enough, I also enjoy running into people while on the trail or at camp. Most of them seem to have the same friendly persona and way about them that I see consistent in my own being. I cherish these interactions, and honestly, some of them have made for some of the best memories I had at Isle Royale. Therefore, if I am not always able to meet people while hoofing it on the trails or lounging away at a campsite, at least I can have a discussion with them within the three walls and ceiling of my shelter, even if it is a one-sided type of conversation :D

With regards to the last paragraph of what you wrote, I already stated the following:
Rafiki wrote:I understand there are occasional people who write things that are crude and distasteful, but outside of these lunkheads, what harm is there in someone leaving a mark of of his or her reminisce.
I already think that it is apparent that I agree with you on this note. If you see a big penis on the wall, that is not appropriate material to be viewed by a child. Those that decide to write on the shelters' walls need to take children into consideration. Unfortunately, I am assuming that most people that write and draw these sort of things are children themselves (teenagers) and that they probably don't take the time to think about, or perhaps they just don't care about, how a child will interpret their drawings. In any regard, we can always take the time to scratch away something me find offensive to the little ones. Having said this, I am going to hope that you are not going to make the argument of "who is to say what is offensive and what is not", cause if your going to tell me that no child should ever see how "Mike <3's Melissa 2008" then I will say that's crazy. Although, I do still respect your belief that seeing graffiti on the walls, no matter what kind, takes away from your backcountry experience. I also apologize if it offends you that I do not see eye to eye with you on matters. However, I hope that you can still recognize and respect where I am coming from as well.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)