Border Issues

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

dinesh75
NewbieCake

Border Issues

Post by dinesh75 »

Hey Guys, I posed a question about a trip IR earlier. Now, I just realized it's very close to the Canadian border.

I am an indian national in the US. So I will take all my documentation with me. Are there any potential issues? Is there even a chance that I might end up in Canada. I will catch the ferry from Copper Harbor, but any storms etc might make me end up in Canada? Is there even a chance of that? Is it advisable that I get a Canadian visa before making this trip?

I went camping in AZ (close to the Mexican Border) and there were multiple checkpoints where my papers were checked. So I just want to be careful.

Thanks.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Border Issues

Post by Nick »

It should not be an issue, but it might be wise to bring your passport/visa along. I've never heard of any of the vessels or aircraft being diverted to Canada, although I suppose there might be a very remote possibility that you could be airlifted to Thunder Bay by the Canadian Coast Guard. Isle Royale is a point of entry into the US and staff there are trained in that protocol. I would not worry about it.
dinesh75
NewbieCake

Post by dinesh75 »

Thanks Nick. So what is the protocal once I land onto Rock Harbor? Do I go through an immigration check point? Show my papers? I will also call up the park service to see what all I need to bring...
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

If you take the V2, Queen or Ranger you'll be treated like everyone else. A leave no trace presentation is given on the dock for those who took the V2 and Queen. Then you'll go into the visitor center to have a camping permit completed. I was with a young woman from Japan in '06. All she did was tell them where she was from (no documents were asked for) and was asked where she planned to camp. On the Ranger you'll be asked for where you plan to stay at ISRO NP. As was suggested, bring all your documents with you (put them in a waterproof container or package).
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Since you are a foreign national, lawfully admitted to the US, there will be no need to "check-in" with respect to your immigration status once you are on Isle Royale because you've never left Michigan and are not returning from travel outside the US. It would be the same if you traveled from Lansing to Detroit. No need to check in. But, it is always nice to carry ID and your passport would serve that purpose. Don't worry about immigration issues. You'll be fine.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi Dinesh,

Just carry whatever papers are required for the visa you have.

The one way you might end up in Canada is if you have a serious medical issue on Isle Royale (like appendicitis or a bad illness/accident) since such cases are often taken by Canadian Coast Guard helicopter to Thunder Bay hospital. We had a friend (who was a Park Service employee) who was taken to Thunder Bay in the middle of the night due to a bad infection a couple of years ago.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather