George Desort's next Documentary

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: George Desort's next Documentary

Post by hooky »

FWIW, I thought it was wonderful. I watch it once a month to get a fix.

I enjoy it mostly because he does show some wonderful places I'll never see, but mostly because I can relate to the early sense of loneliness that morphs to mostly joy for being outside and away from people.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Rafiki wrote:When the time does come, I want feedback from the members on here of where they would like to see me go and what information they would like me to collect on the way.
I came very close one time to making the trek from Chippewa Harbor to Malone Bay. A lot of the ridges seem to be fairly bald, but I'm sure it also has its share of unavoidable marshy areas. At the time it seemed like a logical thing to do, given the dead end aspect of both. At the last minute I ended up not doing it. I have heard rumors that it's been done but nothing second hand. I still regret not having done it so I would definitely vote for this to be your challenge.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I've noticed you mention that before Midwest...when the time comes I promise to make this one of my first trips ;)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

In my research for the new history book on the island I am working on, I have found a few older maps and descriptions of the trails. Among those, one of the most interesting is a trail that ran all of the way from Scoville point to the current Island Mine trail. This trail went south of Lake Richie and west between Wood and Whittlesey Lakes across the present portage and to Malone and onward just north of Hay Bay to Island Mine trail. I am in the process of creating the map of the approximate route and I will post it when it is complete. This was @1930-ish.

As part of my planned trip this September, I plan on investigating the west end of it from Malone to Island Mine trail.

Another item I have acquired is a 1965 Official Park brochure and among the trails that are different and/or not there anymore, is a trail to Lake Halloran from the Feldtmann to the west end of the lake.

More to come...
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Hi Mike, long time no see. In my recent reads after not being active one the forms for a while. I noticed somewhere in between all the posts that I read that you have several old maps. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say that it would be a real treat if you posted them on here. I'd love to see some of the older routes. So when you said "More to come..." I think it would be a good time to let you know that I am holding my breath, so don't take too long ;)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Here is one. This is the Lake Halloran trail I mentioned. This is also on my list of trails to check out this fall.

As I post these old trails, if anyone tries to find them or, does find them, I would appreciate information on what you find to include it in the book. You will be given full credit of course :D

(I am going to repost this in the "Trails" section under a new topic of "Old Trails" to get it out of this thread)
Attachments
Lake Halloran Trail
Lake Halloran Trail
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Rafiki
IR Expert

Post by Rafiki »

Thanks for the post. I originally had a wrote some questions here...but am just going to post them in the other area so you won't have to speak to two different areas and so others can read what I wrote in on the thread specific to this topic.