Individual Season Pass

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

KeyMeKoe
NewbieCake

Individual Season Pass

Post by KeyMeKoe »

Can an individual season pass be purchased online or must it be bought in person?
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Individual Season Pass

Post by bergman »

By phone 906-482-0984 (they will mail it to you), or in person. Since it cannot be replaced if lost, be sure to laminate it onto a good-sized index card, so you don't misplace it. Also, be sure to write down the pass # once you receive the card, and possibly the date of purchase. NPS-Houghton can use that info to honor your pass on Ranger III trips even if you do misplace your card.

The Queen and Voyageur must insist on seeing the actual pass.
KeyMeKoe
NewbieCake

Post by KeyMeKoe »

When paddling a kayak from Grand Portage to Huginnin, is it best to buy an individual season pass or a boater camping pass?
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

The season boat rider pass is $150. It doesn't apply to kayaks or canoes. It covers the user fee for all persons onboard. "When camping, it covers the user fee for all persons included in and following the itinerary of the vessel. "

While kayaking from grand portage, if u happen to see one or two wolves with their thumbs out, be sure to check their Canadian accent, eh? And don't be concerned about not having the rider pass to cover them. Just drop them off alongside the Cubans about 200 yards from shore. :-) :-)
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

KeyMeKoe wrote:When paddling a kayak from Grand Portage to Huginnin, is it best to buy an individual season pass or a boater camping pass?
A good question for the park service to answer. Try their web site.

I believe one needs to register an itinerary, at a park headquarter. I'm not sure that can be accomplished online. :?:
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

That's a good point. You can't paddle straightaway to Huginnin. You have to register at Windigo first, go thru the backcountry orientation, and put your original signature on a backcountry camping permit.

Unless you are staying at the Rock Harbor lodge/cabins or new Windigo cabins, every person staying overnite in the park must have the backcountry camping permit on display; even power boaters are no exception. However, in addition to houghton, rock harbor, and windigo, boaters may obtain camping permits and pay user fees online at https://www.nps.gov/isro/. You will have to call and ask if a sea kayaker would be considered a "boater". I am fairly certain you would not qualify, though it would seem discriminatory to slight somebody coming to the park under their own power. There is probably some good reason to not consider paddlers as boaters.

Tell you what. Even if you are not a "boater", you CAN paddle straightaway to Huginnin! You just cannot set up camp right away. You would first have to hike 8.4 miles roundtrip to the ranger station at windigo. Assuming you have your season pass before you paddle to the island. Can all of that be done by nightfall? I suppose it depends on the season.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

The Park Service is accually quite understanding when it comes to arriving by boat. They are aware it may take a day or two before you are able to check in.