3yr old hiking?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

rylee1987
NewbieCake

3yr old hiking?

Post by rylee1987 »

Next summer my son will be three years old. has anyone had experience hiking with a child that young on Isle Royale? Also if so how much hiking was involved and what would be the best plan for maybe a 3-4 day trip?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: 3yr old hiking?

Post by Midwest Ed »

Welcome to the forum here. You didn’t supply any information about your son’s size and maturity and size of the party. That could make a big difference.

Let me start out by saying I think you could arrange a plan that would suit a 3 year old where both of you would have a great time but I think you will need to be careful and take things easy.

Let’s get the negatives on the table. My impression of most 3 year olds is that they would have difficulty managing the often difficult footing that many of the trails present. It’s not like walking down a gravel or dirt road. There is not a huge amount of total elevation change from point to point on many trails but there can be quite a bit of up and down. This can range from several inches at a time to sometimes step ups that the short leg of a 3 year will struggle with, plus there will be irregular footing due to exposed roots and rocks. Remembering my son, 3 year olds fall down a lot just running on the carpet. I have seen very young children on the Island but for the most part they were being carried.

Compound this with two additional factors 1) The average distance between camp grounds that are closest together is still 4 to 5 miles, others are further and 2) Most campgrounds (June 1st to Labor Day) have a restricted number of overnight stays to either 2 or 3 nights. The main terminus for ferries, Rock Harbor is just 1 night.

Now here’s my good news suggestions. Rather than planning to move from campground to campground, schedule your transportation so you can base camp. Stay in one place for up to 3 nights and make day trips from there. Less gear for you each day and you can turn around and “go home” whenever it makes sense. The ferry from Minnesota (Voyageur II) can drop you off at 6 different campgrounds that each allow a 3 night stay. It circumnavigates the Island over 2 days, spending the night at Rock Harbor. Depending on your choice of base camp you would spend one afternoon and night in Rock Harbor either at the beginning or the end of your trip.

Voyageur II Routes to 3 night camp grounds
Start Minnesota
Washington Creek CG
McCargoe Cove CG
Belle Isle CG (5 nights but you’re stuck on a small island)
Rock Harbor (1 night)
Daisy Farm CG
Chippewa Harbor CG
Malone Bay CG
Washington Creek CG
End Minnesota

Two other ferries route between Michigan and Rock Harbor (Ranger III from Houghton operated by the National Park and Isle Royale Queen IV from Copper Harbor).

After arriving in Rock Harbor there is also a water taxi available to shuttle you to the same 3 night campgrounds plus Moskey Basin as well as other places.

My personal suggestion would be to stay in Daisy Farm for base camp. The reason is that it is at the junction of 4 trails, 2 of which lead to the Greenstone Ridge at just over a mile away. Also, you could probably (not sure about this) arrange for the Sandy tour boat out of Rock Harbor to pick you up and drop you off during it’s twice weekly trip to the Edison Fishery and Rock Harbor Lighthouse just across the harbor. These scheduled tours on the Sandy can also be used as a one way taxi.

This is just one example. There are many other opportunities available and I'm sure you will get additional ideas. Spend some time reading through the forums for more information or just ask.

This is a link to the park's annual newsletter with lot's of useful info:
http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... _web-1.pdf
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I have twins a bit older than yours. My boys are 7 right now and I'll be bringing them next year just after their 8th birthday. I've taken them hiking before bit this will be their first real test and I'm trying to be much more conservative than my other 4 trips to the island.

I'll be taking the water taxi to Moskey and then hiking back to Rock from there 1 campground at a time (about 4 miles a day). I wouldn't plan on anything more than that for a 3 year old. I'd also stay to the east side of the island as the west side has much longer hikes with the exception of the Hugging Cove loop.

As mentioned Daisey Farm has lots of options to day hike from. You could also spend time in Rock doing the stoll trail.

Either way I don't think I'd put anything other than a basic cheapo school type backpack on him with nothing other than like 1 small toy or stuffed animal and a small water bottle for him. This would only be as my kids wanted to feel like they had a pack on also, if he doesn't feel the need I wouldn't put anything on him at all and just let him walk along. My boys were doing weekend hikes with VERY light packs at 4 years old, but i chose not to bring them untill I felt they were ready and I'm still doing smaller hikes. In short you can do it with a 3 year old, just realize your going to be going at an incredibly slow pace with tons of breaks.
Andy
rylee1987
NewbieCake

Post by rylee1987 »

Thanks for the ideas. My son has done pretty good with parts of the North Country Trail. But yes he does get distracted easily but that is to be expected with someone his age. As long as he gets to take breaks and play in the dirt normally he does pretty good. I haven't really pushed him to see how far he can go before he crashes but I do know he tries pretty hard. Normally my wife would hike with us but she is having some major back issues so that grounds her from that for the time being. There would be a third person going which would be my brother. My son would follow him anywhere even if it was miles. What would you recommend for lengths of hikes? Also does anyone know much about the sea plane that goes to Isle Royale? My son likes planes and I was thinking that would be a cool time to get him into flying in one. Also what size pack would you recommend I use right now I have a Deuter Aircontact 65+10 Pack. Would that be big enough to carry my son's stuff and the essentials? I think my son would be mature enough to do the trip and it would be a great learning experience for him. I would just have to make sure he can live without Disney JR on the tv for a few days. :P

Thanks for the help again!
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

Believe me I understand no Disney Jr. My kids loved that also lol.

Depending on what parts of the NCT your talking about its not very comparable to Isle Royale hiking. I live around Grand Rapids MI close to parts of the NCT and used that for my first training hike before my first trip to the island. I was surprised how much more taxing the hiking was on isle royale. More ups and downs and the ground on the island is much more uneven. Lots of rocks and roots which even if you don't trip, will wear out your legs and knees more than the NCT (at least around my area). I'd try to keep the hikes short for your little guy no more than 6 miles per day at most.

I have the exact pack you as you. You can pack a TON into that pack. Really you'll not need much more for adding him along with you than you'd need by yourself. Adding your brother into the hike will make it even easier as you can split group gear between the two of you (tent, cookset, water filter, med kit, etc). I'm assuming he's fine with the idea that your son will be going, but realize your son will need more breaks and slow you guys down.

As for the Sea Plane, I've taken it twice. It's very nice but a bit expensive. It's roughly twice the cost of a boat ticket $300 or so a person last time I went on it. The nice thing about the plane is it offers more versatility than the boats for pick up and drop offs. You can get in before the boats arrive with the first plane, or leave later in the day allowing more hiking time on your last day if you have a late plane. It's only about a 40 min plane ride. Remember you can't take Iso Butane fuel on the sea plane but if the stores are open in Rock or Windigo you can buy fuel there.

Have fun

Andy
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Allow me to offer a bit of a reality check, if you will.

Isle Royale is a wilderness park. It isn't the NCT, and you won't be heading back to the car at the end of the day. Obviously, I don't know your son's temperament but if he decides to have a meltdown, you aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I think you need to think about this a bit more.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

Tampico wrote:Isle Royale is a wilderness park.
I agree with Tampico. I saw this thread in May and just checked back to see if there were any other comments.
Your son may be a hearty soul, but what if you run into 4 days of rain (not at all impossible)? You can't stay more than one night before moving to the next campground. The trail along Rock Harbor from Suzy's Cave to Daisy Farm has portions where you step up and down 10" rock steps. And it's one of the easier ones.
Would he get anything more out of hiking on Isle Royale than he would hiking in the Keweenaw while camping at Fort Wilkins? At 3 years old, those memories would all look the same when he turns 5.
My other concern is that you and he may have fun but what about your neighbors? The 7th principle of Leave No Trace camping is "Be Considerate of Other Visitors ... Let nature's sounds prevail". I don't know a quiet 3 year old.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Ok...consider this point. Sacajawea took a baby across country on the lewis and Clark expedition. As well as thousands of years of human history and the whole world as a wilderness. We as americans just put ourselves on a pedestal.We think we aren't a part of the wilderness, we are animals after all.We have just lost our connection, our survival instinct.Without electricity we as americans are in Serious trouble.I think as long as the parents have the SKILL and common sense to keep the child safe, then there is no problem.But make no mistake it will not be easy for the parent!!! As far as noise is concerned, I have seen more than enough adults that cant grasp the concept of being quiet either.We won't even get started on the outhouse and shelter doors.Disconect the spring if you can't stop it from slaming. :) .I say if you are a parent and you are willing to step up.....and keep your child safe .....good for you. Sometimes the memories aren't just for the kids! ;) We need good parents to take time and get their children exposed to new things. Put down the Ipad and take your kids into the woods ....broaden their horizons .....show them what human kind has experienced for thousands of years! :).Children face more danger in the concrete jungle than in the woods .....they just don't experience it on a daily basis and this makes it a little scary for many people.It is just you and nature, manage the risk, learn the skills .......and have fun! :)

It is not my intention to hurt any feelings or jump on anyone elses opinion....this is just the way I see it, IMHO :)
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Just imagine you're going for a walk with a friend who's 18' tall with 8' long legs, who walks about 10 mph, covering 100 miles per day and who just steps over fences, trash cans and small automobiles.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR

Post by Tightlines01 »

DonNewcomb wrote:Just imagine you're going for a walk with a friend who's 18' tall with 8' long legs, who walks about 10 mph, covering 100 miles per day and who just steps over fences, trash cans and small automobiles.
Lol. Valid points, But as a parent of young kids I'd add ..... But who has 30% of your energy.