Running

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

sunrain
NewbieCake

Running

Post by sunrain »

I am staying at Rock Harbor Lodge early/mid August for two or three nights (don't remember offhand). After that my mom, my aunt and I are traveling other places throughout the UP of Michigan. The day after we come back from our trip I am doing my first 10k race. I am not a trail runner, but a city girl hit the pavement type runner. Still a novice, I will probably come in last.

Anyway, I want to run as much as I can. Preferably 3 to 4 miles. Is there a good place to accomplish this near the lodge? I thought I read somewhere that it is a mile walking from the boat to the lodge. If that is true then maybe I can run back and forth a couple of times. I would like confirmation of that or suggestions of any trails that are close that would be good for running.

Thanks,
Jeanette
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Running

Post by johnhens »

You can piece together a route in Rock Harbor on paved trail.

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... 0Guide.pdf
sunrain
NewbieCake

Post by sunrain »

Very cool! Thank you so much!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Based on the experiece or lack there of on trail running I would stick to the paved paths in rock harbor for your runs. I would recomend taking hikes from the lodge also, they will be good for working those legs too! A 10K is more endurance than speed anyway so get out and hike up them hills!
sunrain
NewbieCake

Post by sunrain »

Thanks! It would be kind of silly to go there and not hike. My thought anyway. Does anyone know if Mt Ojibway Tower is too far away for a round trip day hike? Looks like at least Mt Franklin would be possible.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

It's no where near a mile from the dock to the lodge more like .2 or .3 max.

Mt Ojibway could be day hiked and back but it would be a LONG day. I don't have my map right now but guessing your looking right about 7 - 7.5 miles one way ( with a steep climb up the greenstone ) Franklin is more possible at about 4.5 - 5 one way.

Check out Stoll trail. It's right by the lodge and pretty flat. Perhaps good for a run?
sunrain
NewbieCake

Post by sunrain »

Thanks that is really useful. I may just stick trying to get to Mt Franklin then and I will check out the other trail.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

How can you be scheduled to visit one of the greatest National Parks in the country and not know how many days you'll be there?
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Tampico wrote:How can you be scheduled to visit one of the greatest National Parks in the country and not know how many days you'll be there?
I've made several trips with a "one way" ticket :)
I stay untill I'm about ready to leave and then start figuring out a ride back to the Keweenaw.
sunrain
NewbieCake

Post by sunrain »

We will be there for two nights. Leaving from and then going back to Copper Harbor, MI. I will be with my mom and my aunt who are in their 60s. I wish we could stay longer, but we have so much other stuff we want to do in the UP of Michigan. If I ever make it again, maybe go with a friend and hike and camp. I am somewhat limited staying at the lodge, though I am sure I will totally enjoy it. Hoping to see some auroras. But do to the health concerns of one of the people, intense hiking and camping can't really happen. Though I am sure some hiking will happen, but it will be slow. Hoping I can get out a little on my own so I can see a little more. We'll see.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

The trail out to Scoville Point is relatively flat as mentioned above and might provide a nice walk for everyone involved. You can take it as far as everyone is comfortable going. There are several places along the way where there are benches overlooking Lake Superior with nice views.

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

sunrain wrote:Thanks! It would be kind of silly to go there and not hike. My thought anyway. Does anyone know if Mt Ojibway Tower is too far away for a round trip day hike? Looks like at least Mt Franklin would be possible.
Mt Franklin has a great view and is definitely doable. Lots of folks day hike there from the lodge. Also check the tour boat schedule--if it goes to Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise on a day you're there, you can take it there and hike back to the lodge--about 10 miles if I recall.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
sunrain
NewbieCake

Post by sunrain »

Beautiful photo!

I couldn't see any boat tours for the time we are there, Saturday afternoon through Monday morning. I will keep that in mind in case I am wrong. Part of it will be what my aunt and mom want, that is if we do that they may want me to stay on the boat with them instead of me hiking the 10 miles on my own. I know they won't be hiking 10 miles. Scoville Point is a total possibility though. I will heed their wishes which might mean this is all a waste, but it won't be completely. I already have the idea of going back at some point with a friend to go camping and hiking. I am sure I will enjoy the lodge plenty this time around. Just it is a little limiting.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Sunrain, consider this trip as personal reconnaissance. Enjoy all you can, relax and let the island talk to you in its own way. Enjoy the time wih your Aunt and Mother, don't let the need to knock down miles cloud the memories of time with loved ones.I know you will find some time to run and enjoy some of the back country. Isle Royal has a tendancy to remove the hustle and bustle from ones soul.......if only for a little while :) .I hope you all have a great trip! :)
sunrain
NewbieCake

Post by sunrain »

Thank you. :D