Yellowstone Cell Connectivity

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Yellowstone Cell Connectivity

Post by hooky »

http://news.yahoo.com/yellowstone-park- ... 45562.html

This makes me shake my head. I don't understand the mindset of needing to be plugged in all the time on vacation. I'm forced to be plugged in all the time on my job and I can't wait to turn off the phone and get into the woods. The wilderness is supposed to be wild, like it has throughout time.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Yellowstone Cell Connectivity

Post by Lucky Chicken »

that is crazy... I go into the woods and all these parks to get away from the "civilized" world that sucks the life out of you everyday. They denied the new tower at Voyageurs they should deny this also!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I guess this is why we like Isle Royale, its great to get away for from 4 to +++ days.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

I'm going to be the contrary voice here. They aren't talking about wall-to-wall-WiFi in the wilderness. They are trying to upgrade the infrastructure in the built-up parts of the park, like around the Lodge, etc. I'd imagine that the current wireline infrastructure is at least 30 years old, if not much older. Imagine someone going to the store and not being able to pay with a credit card because the phone lines are busy. Inadequate infrastructure also leads to a wireless monopoly when only one carrier has access to the available backhaul. The Park Service itself needs to have 21st century infrastructure to manage the parks. A buried fiber-optic cable has zero environmental footprint, just like buried copper cable. The only real question would be, who want to foot the bill. Nothing done in a National Park can be cheap and easy.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

This doesn't appear to about making sure my credit card gets approved at the lodge. It specifically calls out cellular service.

Who pays for it is a great question. CenturyLink says they would expect the park service and concessionaires to foot the bill. They should at least open it up to public input.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

hooky wrote: Who pays for it is a great question. CenturyLink says they would expect the park service and concessionaires to foot the bill. They should at least open it up to public input.
This is why I've concluded that, despite the way the article is written, it has a lot to do with getting modern wireline data service. The Park Service and concessionaires are not going to "foot the bill" unless they see a need for the service.

Even at Isle Royale the ranger at Windigo is sends e-mails to HQ. They've gone to a lot of effort to make sure that the concessionaire and the ranger station have something approaching modern communications. How many posts here have mentioned the WiFi near the store at Windigo?

I always chuckle when a backpacker using wicking synthetic underwear, auto-darkening sun glasses, titanium cooking pots, vacuum packed freeze dried meals and a self-inflating sleeping pad, advises everyone to "leave the high-tech stuff at home" to enjoy the wilderness. Personally, I get to enjoy the wilderness a lot more if the wife gets a text message every now and then.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

good points Don

The difference at Isle Royale is the connection is via satalites I believe. Not that a dish in Yellowstone would be better. It also isn't cell service. Some connection is ok and necessary... fully connected is not... IMHO.

I did pay the windigo store last summer to use the satalite phone when the boat was a day late... didn't want the wife to worry.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

DonNewcomb wrote:
hooky wrote: Who pays for it is a great question. CenturyLink says they would expect the park service and concessionaires to foot the bill. They should at least open it up to public input.
This is why I've concluded that, despite the way the article is written, it has a lot to do with getting modern wireline data service. The Park Service and concessionaires are not going to "foot the bill" unless they see a need for the service.

Even at Isle Royale the ranger at Windigo is sends e-mails to HQ. They've gone to a lot of effort to make sure that the concessionaire and the ranger station have something approaching modern communications. How many posts here have mentioned the WiFi near the store at Windigo?

I always chuckle when a backpacker using wicking synthetic underwear, auto-darkening sun glasses, titanium cooking pots, vacuum packed freeze dried meals and a self-inflating sleeping pad, advises everyone to "leave the high-tech stuff at home" to enjoy the wilderness. Personally, I get to enjoy the wilderness a lot more if the wife gets a text message every now and then.
I think we're on the same page. I do carry one of these to send that occasional "I'm still alive" text, so now I'm pondering my own hypocrisy.

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I am not claiming that we are not all hypocrates but... there is a difference between sending an "I am still alive" message and posting a selfie on facebook. Just saying...
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Lucky Chicken wrote:I am not claiming that we are not all hypocrates but... there is a difference between sending an "I am still alive" message and posting a selfie on facebook. Just saying...
It's definitely a matter of degree. I went on a short overnighter a few weeks back and realized that my phone's navigation function was useless without a 3G signal. :? Not that I needed it to navigate along the well-marked trails. I basically have no issues with having modern cellular service in any places where the tour buses run (e.g. Yosemite Valley, Yellowstone Lodge Area) . If I know that when I'm backpacking I'll be in spots where I can send and receive occasional "I'm alive" texts, or maybe even call for help if someone breaks a leg, that's good too. If I'm really out in the wilderness there are satellite options.

BTW, I believe that if you check the antennas at Rock Harbor and Windigo they are Yagis pointing horizontally. Not, dishes point up. Although there may be some of each. Horizontal antennas are connecting to cellular systems, not satellite.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

In my experience staying in communication with the outside world often means that I can gain extra days. If da wife is happy and bussiness is slow then that equals extra time. Last year with a little resupply and some other minor details we could have been able to gain 4 extra days .I am often able to get an extra day here and there with just a few calls.I do however feel that towers are a little unsightly, not to mention thoses that feel the need to talk loud enough for the whole island to hear them :) when on the phone.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

tree rattt wrote:....I do however feel that towers are a little unsightly, .....
As an example, here's the "tower" that provides Verizon & ATT cell service to Yosemite Village. They have a duopoly on service in Yosemite. No Sprint, no T-Mobile.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

The first trip to Yosemite with my son found him worried that he couldn't call mom and tell her he was OK. The last time we came out of the back country, he turned on his phone and had a VM from his GF asking if he was OK and then a string of bewildered turning to distressed "Why aren't you calling me back? Are you breaking up with me?" VMs.

Oh, to be young again. :P