Misc. Questions

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Grantrn16
NewbieCake

Misc. Questions

Post by Grantrn16 »

Hey everyone. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts on this forum over the past several months while preparing for my Trip. In 2 weeks me and 6 of buddies are making our first visit to Isle Royale. I was hoping you could answer a few of my questions.

1: We are spending most of out nights on the interior of the island. I am hoping no one gets injured but if it were to happen, how easy is it to find a ranger for assistance? We are staying at Lakw Richie, Hatchet Lake and Chickenbone Lake.

2: We are being ambitous and are backpacking 53 miles in 5 days. Since we have a group permit we have to have a set itinerary. Is it a problem,if say a member of our group cannot make it to our assigned campsite, to stay at another group site that is closer? I do not foresee this happening but you never know.

3: Was also wondering how the weather and bugs are up there right now.

Any feedback is appreciated. Looking forward to our trip.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Misc. Questions

Post by Ingo »

I've rarely seen rangers on the trail, and just occasionally in campgrounds. In case of an injury requiring attention, the best thing to do is to get to the closest campground with a dock. If the injured party cannot safely move, send someone. The ranger use boats to get around, so it's the most likely place to find a ranger. But if not, find (or wait) for a boater with a VHF radio. If they can't reach the park service directly they should be able to reach another boater who can relay the message. You may be able to get cell service on the ridge, but definitely cannot depend on that. And for the obvious, if you do bring one, load the park office number before you go.

My (now) son-in-law broke his wrist between W. Chickenbone and Hatchet on the Greenstone. We made it to Hatchet, and then to Todd. Eventually some fishermen showed up and did exactly that, including going back out onto the lake in order to get better range (VHF is line-of-sight). The rangers came and evacuated us to Windigo where we caught an earlier than planned boat back to Grand Portage.

On another trip my daughter badly sprained her ankle on the portage between Moskey and Richie. We made it back to Moskey and a ranger later showed up because another camper had notified them. In both cases we broke campground rules (stayed at a group site at Todd, and more than the allowed nights at Moskey) and the rangers were very accommodating. Other campers helped both times, giving us SAM splints, extra ace bandages, and offering to help carry packs (and even my daughter--she declined).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Grantrn16
NewbieCake

Post by Grantrn16 »

Thank you very much for the feedback. We have one guy that is very injury prone so I'm mostly writing because of him haha. Sorry your trip was cut short.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

We just got back on the 15th.They told us that the only places to get help ( for sure) were Rock and Windigo.However Ingo is correct with the dock suggestion.This year we ran into vol ranger John at Malone. Plus if you are outside of regular bussiness hours The new Daisey farm ranger Emily should be at the ranger station.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I think is someone suffers a serious injury, other campers will help get him/her to a lakeside location where he/she can be reached by boat and notify the rangers of the situation. Of course, if someone suffers an infarc he may well be dead before help arrives.