Jobs at Isle Royale

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hermsker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Jobs at Isle Royale

Post by hermsker »

Hey all, this site was was very helpful last summer before our trip, so I thought I would come here again. I was wondering what employment options were available on the island. This is probably wishful thinking, but my girlfriend and I were hoping to land something up there this year. She has a bachelors degree in Fisheries and Wildlife, I assume she would be qualified to be a Park Ranger, but i'm sure those jobs are tough to get. I have construction experience. We both have a ton of backpacking experience. In reality, we would take anything from the restaurant, the small stores or a specific job with the parks department. Does anyone know who I would contact about any possibilities? Thanks in advance.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Jobs at Isle Royale

Post by Ingo »

Contact the concessionaire, http://rockharborlodge.com/jobs-rock-harbor, as well as the Park Service office in Houghton.

I worked the store and docks at R.H. for a summer way back when, but from what I can tell things haven't changed terribly much over the years. Any job that isn't with the park service is with Forever Resorts, who runs the stores, lodge, restaurants, etc., both in R.H. and Windigo. When I was there, there were accommodations for only a couple couples, so that is definitely something to ask about. There is an employee dorm and I think some rooms in the guest house by the lake. You'll be lucky to bring any money home with you at the end of the summer, given low pay and the room and board deductions, but it's a great experience! When I was there we worked 6 days a week, so it was hard to get out much or very far, but I think they only work 5 days/week now.

I think any job with the NPS would be preferable, but like you said, probably harder to get. Even a sauna on Mott Island :). But either way, I'd love to be able to do it again, even if it meant cleaning rooms! Good luck with it.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Re: Jobs at Isle Royale

Post by treeplanter »

There's a "laborer" position open right now on Isle Royale. Enrollment period is 2/10 - 2/23. Go to the USAJobs website and look for seasonal park positions>Michigan>Isle Royale. Or look here:

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?keyword= ... %20service'