2 Botany Workshops IRKPA Sponsored

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

2 Botany Workshops IRKPA Sponsored

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi all,

This year there are again going to be 2 botany workshops held on Isle Royale under the auspices of the Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association. Rock Harbor will be in June and Windigo in September. General info is below and I have also attached a flyer with more particulars; if you want to print and post the flyer anywhere that would be great!

Bob Marr
President, IRKPA

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
TWO ISLE ROYALE BOTANY WORKSHOPS NOW BEING OFFERED IN 2016!
JUNE 6-11 AND SEPTEMBER 6-11
Experience four days in Lake Superior's Isle Royale National Park either in the spring or fall and learn to identify the diverse plants that live on this incredible island!

BOTANY WORKSHOP INFORMATION:
These special botany workshops, sponsored by the Isle Royale & Keweenaw Parks Association (IRKPA), and taught by botanist Janet Marr, are open to anyone with beginning/intermediate knowledge of plant identification who is interested in learning to identify the native flora of this species-rich Lake Superior island.

Workshop participants will spend four days on Isle Royale either in the spring (June 6-11) or fall (September 6 -11) learning native plant species, using such tools as a dichotomous key and hand lens to identify plants. Other topics will include discussion of island plant communities, rare species, ecology, and invasive species.

Most workshop activities will take place outdoors. Optional evening sessions will also be offered to review plants learned earlier.

REQUIREMENTS for both workshops:
Workshop participants should be able to walk up to 8 or so miles in one day with a daypack on rocky, sometimes steep, trails and bedrock, sometimes slippery, shoreline.

INSTRUCTOR for both workshops:

Botanist Janet Marr, the workshop instructor, has had many years of experience studying plants across Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and Isle Royale. Janet taught the 2007-2015 Isle Royale botany workshops as well as many botany, aquatic, and wetland plant workshops in Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula. She is co-author of the Isle Royale Natural History Association's Island Life, an Isle Royale Nature Guide.

ENROLLMENT IS LIMITED TO 12 PARTICIPANTS per workshop. Past botany workshops have filled up very quickly so sign up soon! Contact Kristine Bradof at 906-482-7860 or kbradof (at) irkpa.org for more information about workshop registration or to register. Contact Janet Marr at 906-337-5529 or jkmarr (at) mtu.edu for details about the workshops themselves.

MICHIGAN K-12 TEACHERS. State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) may be available by participating in either workshop.

WORKSHOP FEE for either workshop:

$699 per person if registered by March 7 ($25 discount for IRKPA members

$725 per person if registered after March 7 ($25 discount for IRKPA members
Attachments
botany wkshops 2016.pdf
(199.1 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: 2 Botany Workshops IRKPA Sponsored

Post by Tom »

Bob - Any opinions on the instructor? :wink:

Others - If you don't already have it, Island Life is a must have to identify just about anything you see on the Isle...
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: 2 Botany Workshops IRKPA Sponsored

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi Tom,

Yes, I can vouch for Janet's credentials as a field botanist. Also, I will again be the volunteer camp cook on the September workshop. An added bonus for June workshop participants is that the meals are catered by the Lodge restaurant! :D

Bob
Soon to be Past President of IRKPA
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather