2017 User Fee Increase

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

2017 User Fee Increase

Post by johnhens »

The proposed user fee increase for 2017 is on the books. More info: https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/fees.htm
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: 2017 User Fee Increase

Post by hooky »

It sure does put the season pass in play for anything other than a solo, even if the plan is for only 1 trip. That 9th day is key.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

hooky wrote:It sure does put the season pass in play for anything other than a solo, even if the plan is for only 1 trip. That 9th day is key.
So true, but even more so the America the Beautiful (Federal) Annual pass. For another $20 ($80/yr) it would cover all the National Parks for the year. (Not all parks have same "up to three adults" rule, I would guess, but still.)

I would say that with this change, and the reduction in the boater pass (moving it to the regular pass) that the ISRO NPS team doesn't see recurrent visitors as being a primary revenue stream. They've made it easier and more economical for those of us who like to stick around and return year after year, at the expense (albeit minor) of the day-trippers.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Does the America the Beautiful pass include monuments and USDA FS Wilderness Areas? I recently stumbled upon the Interagency Annual Pass and wonder if it's the same thing as the AtB pass.
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

Not unlike Denali/McKinley, I think they are one in the same.
https://store.usgs.gov/pass/annual.html
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

I think you are correct. They are the same.

http://www.fs.fed.us/visit/passes-permi ... ees-passes

Cost $80 Annually
Who Qualifies Anyone can purchase an Interagency Annual Pass.
Benefits

Honored nationwide at all Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, and US Fish & Wildlife Service sites charging entrance or standard amenity fees.

Valid for 12 months from the month of purchase. Expires the last day of the month punched.

Has two signature lines and any two individuals may sign the pass. Both are considered pass holders.
Admits pass holder and any accompanying passengers in a private non-commercial vehicle.
At per-person fee sites, admits pass holder and up to 3 persons. Persons 15 and younger are admitted free of charge.
Frequent visitors of multiple federal agency lands may save money by buying an Interagency Annual Pass.
Receives a 50% discount on some expanded amenity fees like campgrounds (does not include hookups for water/sewer/electricity), highly developed boat launches and swimming sites and for specialized interpretive services.
Validation The date is validated by the seller at the time of purchase, unless it is being purchased for another as a gift. The pass is not valid for use until at least one person signs the pass.
Display
At staffed sites, show your pass to the booth attendant.
At unstaffed sites, use hangtag to display pass from rear-view mirror. Hangtags are available wherever you purchase a pass.
At per-person sites, present pass upon request.
Other Important Details
Nontransferable.

Once signed, the pass may not be given to or used by anyone whose name is not on the pass.

Concessionaires may or may not honor his pass, according to the terms of their current permit.

Decals may be issued free for open topped vehicles at unstaffed sites Decals are only valid when the owner has an accompanying valid pass.

Does not cover expanded amenity fees or special recreation permits.

How to Obtain a Pass and Hangtag
Online at http://store.usgs.gov (link is external) or at most national forest or grassland offices.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Thanks for that info Hooky and Tom ! That interagency pass looks like one heck of a deal. I never even had a clue such a thing existed .

Just a clarification if I may ask. Forest service= National Forest??? Would such a pass be available at any local Federal office?
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

The USDA Forest Service does oversee National Forests.

In addition to purchasing online, the pass is available at the following locations: https://store.usgs.gov/pass/PassIssuanceList.pdf
(They note to call first, to confirm they have them in stock at that location.)
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

tree rattt wrote:.......Just a clarification if I may ask. Forest service= National Forest???.....
Yes, the Forest Service and National Forest are the same. Administered by Dept. of Agriculture.

The Park Service is administered by the Dept. of the Interior.

Two different animals.