Shelters

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

User avatar

MikeT
IR Pro
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:32 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 23
Location: Port Sanilac, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Shelters

Post by MikeT » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:37 pm

It would not take a whole lot of work to move a shelter. I would not want to do it, but it would not be that hard. I'm thinking the shelters were moved and the shelter colors were changed to match the 1965 NPS plan (right now I forget what they called it). The colors of the shelters are pretty bad. This picture is a new one to my collection and I need to compare landscapes. I am not sure if this is the current dock location (I think not). It could be at the remnants of a dock next to the current one or, it could be on the other side of Benson Creek; There were two docks listed at Daisy Farm on several park brochures I have.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"

User avatar

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 10
Location: Hillsborough, NC

Re: Shelters

Post by Ingo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:55 pm

A little off-topic, but another thing that's changed: my Uncle flew into McCargoe Cove and Siskiwit Lake in the 50s on a fishing trip. Remnants of a dock on Siskiwit still exist.

User avatar

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 10
Location: Hillsborough, NC

Re: Shelters

Post by Ingo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:03 pm

MikeT wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:34 pm
Below is a picture of Daisy Farm from a 1963 postcard.
We rented out those wooden boats at R.H. in 1979. Heavy and slow, but very seaworthy. Same white and orange paint. But folks usually preferred the newer aluminum ones so they didn't get rented much.

User avatar

Rafiki
IR Expert
Posts: 522
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:11 am
Isle Royale Visits: 6
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Shelters

Post by Rafiki » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks for bringing some history to this thread Mike. Very neat collection of artifacts that you have in your possession.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days [Paddling])


lellswo
NewbieCake
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:04 am
Isle Royale Visits: 0
Location: Orem, Utah, USA

Re: Shelters

Post by lellswo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:21 am

I think the reason that the shelters are only found at Lake Superior docks has more to do with the wilderness designation of most of the park. Since the Wilderness Act of 1964 states "there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport, and no structure or installation within any such area" (italics added). Authorized exceptions to the prohibition of structures include boardwalks to protect sensitive land, foot bridges over dangerous water crossings, and pit toilets to improve sanitation in high-use areas. You can see on the National Geographic map of the park, all the campgrounds with existing shelters have been carved out of the wilderness designation, which allows the park service to maintain and replace existing structures in those areas. Other structures such as the fire towers and cabins that existed prior to wilderness designation have been grandfathered in.


Chorizo
LNT Expert
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 6:12 am
Isle Royale Visits: 18
Location: Harshaw, WI

Re: Shelters

Post by Chorizo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:15 pm

Has anyone seen shelters of the Isle Royale design at any other parks or locations? We have not. Just kind of curious to know how unique they are to Isle Royale.

User avatar

Tom
Forum Moderator
Posts: 701
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:16 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 14
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota

Re: Shelters

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 am

lellswo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:21 am
You can see on the National Geographic map of the park, all the campgrounds with existing shelters have been carved out of the wilderness designation, which allows the park service to maintain and replace existing structures in those areas.
I like the theory, but I'm not sure it's 100% true. There are a lot of places that don't show on the map as non-wilderness that have shelters; Todd Harbor, Chippewa, Duncan Bay + Narrows, many of the small island campsites, etc.
I wouldn't doubt the reason, like pit toilets, is to minimize impact to the land, however.

User avatar

Tom
Forum Moderator
Posts: 701
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:16 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 14
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota

Re: Shelters

Post by Tom » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 am

Chorizo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:15 pm
Has anyone seen shelters of the Isle Royale design at any other parks or locations? We have not. Just kind of curious to know how unique they are to Isle Royale.
I think I once read they are a four-sided variation of the "Adirondack lean-to" found on the Appalachian Trail in the Adirondack mountain area.
I won't be able to confirm until I can get the A.T. bucket list item checked off. :wink:

User avatar

dcclark
NewbieCake
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:39 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 2
Contact:

Re: Shelters

Post by dcclark » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:54 am

Chorizo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:15 pm
Has anyone seen shelters of the Isle Royale design at any other parks or locations? We have not. Just kind of curious to know how unique they are to Isle Royale.
Wilderness State Park at the tip of Michigan's Lower Peninsula has a CCC-built shelter very much in the Isle Royale template -- but built with logs, and a massive fieldstone fireplace in front of it (wouldn't that be nice sometimes?!). It's meant to be a warming shelter for skiers.

I had a darn hard time tracking down a photo of it (since "Wilderness State Park" tends to pull up "Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park" which is not the same at all). Here's the best one:



Chorizo
LNT Expert
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 6:12 am
Isle Royale Visits: 18
Location: Harshaw, WI

Re: Shelters

Post by Chorizo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 am
Chorizo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:15 pm
Has anyone seen shelters of the Isle Royale design at any other parks or locations? We have not. Just kind of curious to know how unique they are to Isle Royale.
I think I once read they are a four-sided variation of the "Adirondack lean-to" found on the Appalachian Trail in the Adirondack mountain area.
I won't be able to confirm until I can get the A.T. bucket list item checked off. :wink:
A quick google search suggests this is correct. Typically elevated off the ground and open on the front side. The screen and door seem to be an Isle Royale specific variant.


treeplanter
Bushwacker
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:57 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 12
Contact:

Re: Shelters

Post by treeplanter » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:01 am

lellswo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:21 am
.....I think the reason that the shelters are only found at Lake Superior docks has more to do with the wilderness designation of most of the park. Since the Wilderness Act of 1964 states "there shall be no temporary road, no use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, no landing of aircraft, no other form of mechanical transport......
Isle Royale didn't become an official US designated wilderness until 1976. The shelters are located along Lake Superior campsites strictly because of ease of construction.

User avatar

MikeT
IR Pro
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:32 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 23
Location: Port Sanilac, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Shelters

Post by MikeT » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Tom wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 am
lellswo wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:21 am
You can see on the National Geographic map of the park, all the campgrounds with existing shelters have been carved out of the wilderness designation, which allows the park service to maintain and replace existing structures in those areas.
I like the theory, but I'm not sure it's 100% true. There are a lot of places that don't show on the map as non-wilderness that have shelters; Todd Harbor, Chippewa, Duncan Bay + Narrows, many of the small island campsites, etc.
I wouldn't doubt the reason, like pit toilets, is to minimize impact to the land, however.
The last Management Plan published has a whole section on removing both shelters and tables from the island to meet the wilderness designation.
From page 220 of Final Wilderness and Backcountry Management Plan published in 2011:
Alternative B for Picnic Tables: Comply with NPS Policy and Remove all Picnic Tables
from Wilderness Campgrounds
The details of this alternative are outlined in Chapter 2, p. 89-90. Changes that could occur
under this alternative that may have measurable environmental consequences include:
• All picnic tables would be removed from a total of 33 campsites and shelters in the
following campgrounds within designated or potential wilderness: Caribou Island,
Chippewa Harbor, Hay Bay, Grace Island, Beaver Island, Todd Harbor, Birch Island,
Duncan Bay, Duncan Narrows, Merritt Lane, and Tookers Island. The tables would also
be removed from the picnic area at Hidden Lake.
• Picnic tables would be retained at campgrounds in non-wilderness; Rock Harbor, Three
Mile, Daisy Farm, Moskey Basin, Malone Bay, Siskiwit Bay (only until the dock is
removed), Washington Creek, McCargoe Cove, and Belle Isle.
• Isle Royale would then be in compliance with NPS wilderness policy.
[There is another section just like this that talks about removing shelters at the same campgrounds)
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"

Post Reply