- Posts: 9
- Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:12 pm
- Isle Royale Visits: 0
- Location: NW Lower MI
We will be coming from Copper Harbor and decided to stay on the east side of the island and do a loop starting and ending in Rock Harbor.
Our tentative itinerary:
(Arrival) Rock Harbor to Lane Cove... 6.9 miles
Lane Cove to McCargoe................ 13 miles
McCargoe Cove to Moskey Basin...... 8.4 miles
Moskey Basin to Three Mile............ 8.3 miles
Three Mile to Rock Harbor (Depart)... 2.7 miles
Any critiques on our route?
I also have one other question: why does everyone hate the Chickenbone East campsite?? I see a lot of comments about it but I was not sure why!
- Forum Moderator
- Posts: 1488
- Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm
- Isle Royale Visits: 10
- Location: Hillsborough, NC
East Chickenbone is not on the lake and it's a little hike to get water. Probably fine, but relative to the rest kinda blah--just a spot in the woods.
- Posts: 132
- Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:11 pm
- Isle Royale Visits: 2
- Location: Chicago
E Chickenbone didn't look all that bad, but during my trek through the campground en route to McCargoe last year (at the same time you'll be there this year), I disliked the lack of water access and the bugs (midges and mosquitoes) were actually out.
1. Very exposed -- few tall trees, on a high ridge. You'll get direct sun, wind, rain, and everything else. No protection from the elements.
2. Water access is down a steep hill and at least half a mile away. No good options besides that, either.
There are also no shelters and one very unpleasant pit toilet (missing a board on the door last time I saw it), and not even a good view of the lake. It's worth the extra miles to McCargoe or West Chickenbone if you're headed west.