First trip coming up this month.. need advice!

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First trip coming up this month.. need advice!

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:21 pm So what's the opinion on whether a canoe portage from somewhere on the Tobin Harbor trail to Three Mile CG is any sort of reasonable option, in the situation where the Rock Harbor Channel weather is too rough?
I remember reading about someone who tried this and apparently there's no good place to take out of Tobin Harbor--either very steep or swampy. And you'd think if there was it would be a marked portage. Maybe some day I'll actually check it out myself--maybe in a month or so :).
Midwest Ed wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:21 pmA simple cable and small padlock (or even a just a note) will stop any kids looking to joy ride in Snug Harbor or more likely someone mistaking your ride for a rental unit.
I've never felt the need or ever heard of this being a problem. Maybe if I had an aluminum Grumman I'd mark it "not a rental" somehow. But there is a separate rack for personal canoes/kayaks.
Midwest Ed wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:21 pmAnother interesting question...
I wonder if a Ranger in Rock Harbor would be able to know if anyone is scheduled to be at Tookers on a given date? I know they could look it up in an emergency but how readily available is that info to them?
I asked once about Meritt Lane and the ranger looked it up and told me. Probably more reliable for boaters, who like groups, are expected to stick to their itineraries. Paddling, at least for me, the itinerary is just a best guess of where I might be.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
mossanimal
NewbieCake

Post by mossanimal »

Yes I’m definitely keeping the idea of a Tobin portage to 3 Mile on the radar. I’m hoping the Five Finger idea works out... but good to know about that portage... I had not noticed that on the map.

Edited to add: Oops... didn’t see Ingo’s reply!
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I tried to get to the three mile to Mt Fraklin trail two years ago from Tobin harbor, it didn't work. We ended going back and pulling out on the Tobin harbor trail. I don't suggest it. lots of twists, turns and up and downs that didn't like an 18 foot kayak. If you leave the boat and come back to it, it wouldn't be to bad. we ended going up about 6 feet of vertical root and tree grabbing. There are plenty of game trails going to the water, but they are built for moose.
Big Flounder
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Big Flounder »

mossanimal wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:45 pm...we live on the South Shore of Lake Superior and spend nearly every weekend in the summer in the Apostle Islands...

You wouldn't happen to have any interest in adopting a 48 year old fat kid would ya? :lol:

I have zero help for you as I've haven't been to the island yet, but nice job getting your kids outdoors so much. I went to the BWCA for the first time this past June. Beautiful place!