Late September/early October highlights

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Late September/early October highlights

Post by Kelly »

Leaving on September 29 for my fourth backpacking trip to Isle Royale and returning to the mainland on October 4.

We're coming in from Grand Portage to Windigo.

If you've been on the island at that time of the year, what were the highlights for you?
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Late September/early October highlights

Post by Tom »

Well, the latest I've hit the island was third week of September, and that trip was filled with over 3 inches of rain and gale winds... That said, mid-Sept and onward is the time I think of Sugar Mountain as no longer a walk in the woods, and Island Mine is downright spectacular. While there are times I would recommend going past Island Mine to the other camps, September is not one of them.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

That is my favorite time to go. I usually try to take the last boat back. Like Tom said, Island Mine area is spectacular.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

I had ideas about going last month, and when that didn't pan out, I worked out a plan to take the last boat out.

My husband is probably going--first time for him. I'm definitely planning a day hike to Island Mine, if not an overnight. Also a day or two at Hugginin.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I can't remember the dates but it was probably early to mid October. My canoe trip through the Moskey/Ritchie/Intermediate/Wood/Whittlesey loop ended at Chippewa Harbor. The last night at CH, waiting for the Voyageur, was the coldest night of my partner's life. Since I had a Winter bag, I wasn't too cold sleeping, but a cooking pot quart of water sitting next to my head was frozen solid when I woke up. Still, it was my most memorable trip. I'm pretty sure you won't be that cold this year.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013