IR pressed into commercial service!

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

IR pressed into commercial service!

Post by torpified »

Merrell is making IR (and a least weasel its shoe-shooting crew found there!) part of its marketing campaign:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/blog?url= ... onal-park/
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: IR pressed into commercial service!

Post by fonixmunkee »

I had seen this in the fall catalog. Kinda cool.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: IR pressed into commercial service!

Post by Midwest Ed »

It was an interesting take for such a short trip for a first timer. I think it's valid to make one small correction to their reporting. The facility very near the Rock Harbor Lighthouse is not an "old fish hatchery". It is a "fishery", home to a long time fisherman by the name of Pete Edison.

There is also the Bangsund cabin which is several hundred yards further southwest along the shore. It's present use is well known but I actually didn't know the early history of "Bangsund". So I did some research. In Rolf Peterson's 2007 book, The Wolves of Isle Royale: A Broken Balance,
I found the following passage. . .
The Park Service assumed responsibility for this dwelling after fisherman Jack Bangsund died there in his sleep in October of 1959. Since that time (indeed, for more years than the commercial fishing operation lasted at the site), it has served as a cherished research base.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013