2009 Trips

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

2009 Trips

Post by johnhens »

Well 2008 is almost over.
Its never too early to start planning 2009 trips, right fonix :lol:

I/we are returning in May of '09 for Spring fishing on Siskiwit, an event not to be missed!!!
Niners and I will be there either in May or June to do some more Volunteer work for the NPS. I think we may be working on the Rock Harbor Visitor Center.

While not related to Isle Royale, we are hoping to go to Tadoussac in Quebec to paddle the St Lawrence with whales and porpoises and maybe take a side trip to Maine to paddle there. I have always wanted to paddle The San Juan islands in WA and this sounds even better. Thanks to Nick for the info on this one !!!!!
I'll be sure to post pictures!!!!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: 2009 Trips

Post by fonixmunkee »

johnhens wrote: While not related to Isle Royale, we are hoping to go to Tadoussac in Quebec to paddle the St Lawrence with whales and porpoises
I have a few friends that did the same kind of trip, and the pictures they got were incredible.

What's the deal for this winter? Going to do any of those cool-ass snowshoeing trips you were talking about again? Or is it too cold out for you... :mrgreen:
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

We are talking about a couple of options for our winter trip.
The trip we have done in the past, 'shoe/ski into Little Beaver Lake and base out of there.
Do a trip from Beaver Lake Road to the Lakeshore Trail back to Munising, 3 or 4 nights.
Do the Lakeshore Trail from Grand Marais to Munising about 42 miles.
Any of them sound good to you? 8)
mihiker
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by mihiker »

Feldman Loop, dates unknown.
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by trailgoat »

I'll be heading back to Isle Royale in 2009. I haven't really thought of an itinerary yet, but I'm leaning toward finally seeing the west side of the island. Logistically, this is the most difficult for me to get to, but I'd really like to hike the Feldman Loop. In all honesty, it really doesn't matter where I hike--it's always an awesome trip. I'll probably get out the dog-eared topo map after the holidays and start planning. I'd like to do 8 days, so it's gonna take some planning. :)
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'm HOPING to finally get back this summer (dang, it's been since 2005). There's supposed to be be a family reunion in N. Wis. so the plan is to piggy-back an I.R. trip. Hopefully I can get the 2+ weeks I'll need off work. It's unlikely my wife can get that much time off, but one of daughters will be between school and the real world of teaching H.S. math. She's hoping that we can do a little more adventurous trip than our 9 days paddling Rock Harbor (the body of water), due to a seriously sprained ankle on the 1st portage. Or maybe a brother or 2 can join me. In any case, it makes me think I need to move back to the great white north. Or convince my company to open an office on the North Shore of Superior!

If I can get the time, it will be the intended loop of the last trip--Rock Harbor, all the inland lakes/portages, then back up the north shore--the Ultimate I.R. Canoe Trip! More likely it will be shorter, probably the north side.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

johnhens wrote:We are talking about a couple of options for our winter trip.
The trip we have done in the past, 'shoe/ski into Little Beaver Lake and base out of there.
Do a trip from Beaver Lake Road to the Lakeshore Trail back to Munising, 3 or 4 nights.
Do the Lakeshore Trail from Grand Marais to Munising about 42 miles.
Any of them sound good to you? 8)
John, there's some great sea kayaking in Hawaii! Didn't actually do any ourselves, but there's some great spots. Definitely would have gone for it if I was with more experienced/adventuresome company.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

John,
When did you go to Hawaii?
Any pics or TR??
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

johnhens wrote:John,
When did you go to Hawaii?
Any pics or TR??
This last May to celebrate 25 years. My wife trumped my I.R. trip idea :) Never did put up a trip report, but here's some pics.
http://web.mac.com/ingonet/iWeb/Hawaii2008/Main.html
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

John,
First of all, the Ultralight shots besides being awesome and specatacular, I am so jealous!!!
What a way to see the coastline!!!
How was the snorkeling?
The volcano shots were spectacular!!

How long were you there?
When you get a chance, jot a few notes about your trip, it looks specatacular!!!!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I'm pretty sure Jerry and I are coming back in September. We have Joe from the softball team on board and hoping to convince Eric to come along too. Plans are to bring canoes and go from McCargo - Chickenbone - Lake Ritchie - Intermediate Lake - Wood lake - Siskiwit to Malone.

Canoeing, Fishing, Relaxing . . . . . .
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
hirkeukvic
NewbieCake

Post by hirkeukvic »

As I said in another thread, I'm thinking of the Feldtman loop, and I'm leaning toward early May (assuming things aren't iced over.) That'll give me a break between grad school (ugh) and summer research/work/whatever I end up doing over the summer. Once I find some traveling partners, I should be good to go.

--J
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

hirkeukvic, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Feldtman Loop or in the time of year. Mid to late May can still get pretty cool at night but I've never had anything too cold that I couldn't handle, and I'm by no means a cold weather hiker.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I hope to catch the first boat again this year. I have one elusive goal to achieve and everytime I try to do it, something has happened.

I've hiked every trail on IR except the section between West Chickenbone and Ishpeming Tower. In 2003, I blew out my knee on the Greenstone 4 miles east of East Chickenbone. In 2006, I returned to McCargo to hike across to Siskquit and the knee went again on the McCargo, East Chickenbone, West Chickenbone loop. Missed 2007. Did some more shakedown hikes on the east end in 2008 and everything felt pretty good. Im scheduled for a joint replacement a week from Tuesday and I hope to be up and hiking fairly soon after that. If there are no complications, I should be up and hikking by the 1st of February.

Although I've always hiked IR solo, I'm hoping I can find someone who will make the hike with me (I will need to go ultra light--no camera, minimal cookstore, cold breakfasts, etc.). Then, I'd have the rest of my gear and kayak dropped off at Malone Bay where I'd finish out the next 10 days paddling and fishing.

Any takers?
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Happy New Year everyone! I am looking forward to getting out to the island this year. I do not have a date set out yet but am thinking sometime in August. I am putting this trip on top of the list after not making it out there last year like I planned. The route will be the same though. It will be a canoe trip starting at Bell Isle and ending at either Caribou Island or Daisy Farm.

My other trip planned for the Summer is doing the Lake Superior Circle Tour. I have wanted to do this for years and this year is my chance to go. Living in MN, I am very familiar with what the North Shore has to offer and now want to explore the portions of the lake I have not seen much of or not at all like the far north side in Canada, the east side in Canada and Michigan and the south side of MI and WI. I am looking forward to camping at Sleeping Giant Park, Neys Prov. Park, Lake Superior Prov. Park, Pictured Rocks in MI and possbily the porkies or somewhere in the Keweenaw area as I have not been up there yet.
"The Island Is Calling"