Better to visit in early May, or late August

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

CharlieGtx
NewbieCake

Better to visit in early May, or late August

Post by CharlieGtx »

We have two options of when to visit IR; either around the second week of May, or around the last week of August. Anyone have experience visiting those times have suggestions on when is the better choice? Thanks!
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Better to visit in early May, or late August

Post by ARRC »

You really can't go wrong with either time. The lack of green up in May allows for views that you won't get in August. Also cooler hiking weather, likely no mosquitos and less people.August generally not a problem with bugs. Water is definitely inviting for a swim.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

May is great with few people and open views with the lack of foliage. However, you must be prepared for cold weather (it may snow), wet muddy trails, and potentially a lot of deadfall to navigate. There could still be some ice/snow depending on the year. Trail crews will have begun to clear the trails, but will be nowhere near finished. There won't be any showers, supplies, or food available. There also shouldn't be any bugs.

August brings warmer weather (although nights can be chilly any time of year), berries, and more people. You can get a shower, have a beer, and have a sit down down meal (in Rock Harbor) at the end of your trip. The boats will be running full schedules, so transportation options and scheduling are easier. The worst of the bugs should be over, are around, but shouldn't be bad.

So it really depends on your style and what you're looking for. I've done trips in all months and have enjoyed them all.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

ARRC and Ingo give good advice. I'd like to emphasize a few things.

Without knowing your level of experience with both backpacking and the island itself, it's hard to recommend May. I'm quite experienced with backpacking in general, and I lived in the Keweenaw for 10 winters, so I have a good sense of what "spring" looks like in the area. Nonetheless, I'm going on my first May trip to the Island next year and am still a bit nervous about the potential for snow, cold, and muck. If you are a reasonably experienced backpacking and know what a UP "spring" is like, then you know what you're getting into. If that's a "no" on either one of them, then I would seriously recommend August.

August is fantastic. I've done 2 trips in August and loved each of them. Few if any bugs, Superior is as warm as it ever gets. But, lots of people around, and the potential for campgrounds to be full.
CharlieGtx
NewbieCake

Post by CharlieGtx »

Thanks guys. Lots of good information in those responses, I appreciate the feedback.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Not sure where you are coming from (ferry choice) or where you want to go on IR in May. Know that your options may be determined by what ferry/locale you desire. Less people in May, but also the chance of more blowdowns, snowy, muddy trails. Might get lucky to see new calves (remember how dangerous cows can be with new calves). No services on the Island (others have mentioned this).
August will be warmer, more people. Trees leafed out. Berries.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

IN 2013 or 2014, the second week of May saw everything still frozen and they couldn't get a boat into either harbor. MikeT has a trip report on here within the last five years where they were "snowed in" on a mid may trip. If vacation time is at a premium, I'd vote Late August. I've been in late May and and late August, both were bug free.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I echo all the sentiments expressed! I visited in early May a few years ago, and loved it, partially because of some of the peculiar challenges posed. I wrote up an after action review about some of these, the measures I adopted, and how they stacked up. Here, FWIW, is a link to it: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3332&p=22516&hilit ... iew#p22516
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

When I'm backpacking, I always go early or mid-May. There's no one on the island, and there's no bugs. Plus, I don't like heat, and it doesn't get hot during this time of year (I've even been snowed on twice, and hiked in some snow on the north side once).