Traveling with small children and Seniors

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

JKansas
NewbieCake

Traveling with small children and Seniors

Post by JKansas »

Hi all!

My Family and I are moderately experienced campers and hikers. We are comfortable with pit toilets and living out of a jug of water for weeks, but I have some physical limitations which inhibit my ability to sleep on hard ground. This is not usually a problem as we don't hike into the backcountry to camp and I can bring an air mattress and foam topper. Add that to my concerns about walking miles and miles with food, bug spray, kid stuff, etc in a backpack...I feel somewhat overwhelmed when trying to plan. So I have a few questions?

1. Anybody with multiple hip replacements and osteoarthritis try sleeping in a hammock? Is that even a thing?
2. Is there anywhere on the island to get pre-made/convenience food? (I was confused by the conflicting information online)
3. Is it even possible to bring a tent, air mattress, foam roll, food, etc.. in a backpack? Especially when only one able adult will be doing most of the carrying for five people?
4. Do we need to pack in drinking water? On the NPS site it's says there is "water"...but I wasn't sure if that was for washing or drinking.
5. Do cellphones work? My eldest son has a severe peanut allergy and though we have epi-pens, getting to the ER quickly for this sort of thing is crucial.

Thanks for any insights!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Traveling with small children and Seniors

Post by Ingo »

Hi JKansas,
It seems like your last question is the most critical: Cell phones occassionally work for some folks in some places, but absolutely can not be relied upon. Your best bet is a personal emergency satellite device (Spot or inReach) in the backcountry. But even in that case the only "quick" way to an ER is calling in a Coast Guard helicopter and that will still be a few hours at best--and obviously something no one wants. On one trip we had a broken wrist in the backcountry and it took 2+ days to get to the ER in Grand Marais--although not a life-threatening situation by any means.

Given the limitations of your party (1 person packing everything for 5 is insane), I'd seriously suggest looking into staying at either the Windigo Camper Cabins or the Housekeeping Cabins at Rock Harbor. Info is here: https://www.rockharborlodge.com/. Note that the camper cabins at Windigo tend to fill up quickly--they're popular and only 2 of them. Both of these areas have rangers and other personnel with communication readily available in case of an emergency, although quick transportation off the island is still an issue.

The other possibility would be the Washington Creek campground, about 1/4 mile from Windigo, although it has a 3 night limit. They have shelters which are pretty comfortable if you have a good pad (wooden floor), but be aware they can not be reserved so you need to be prepared to tent if they are full. The campgrounds nearest Rock Harbor at the other end have a 1 night limit for most of the season, so they wouldn't be practical.

Both Rock Harbor and Windigo have camp stores with some food (mostly snacks) and basic supplies, but you should plan to bring your own food, unless you stay at the Rock Harbor Lodge. Rock Harbor also has two restaurants; at Windigo you can get a microwaved pizza or pre-made sandwiches if they have them in stock, but no restaurant. Water is available at both Rock Harbor and Windigo--elsewhere on the island you have to filter it from the lakes and streams. The park newpaper the "Greenstone" has a lot of good info https://www.nps.gov/isro/upload/ISRO_We ... _2018b.pdf.

Hope this helps.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JKansas
NewbieCake

Post by JKansas »

Ingo,

Wonderfully informative!

Thanks
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by ARRC »

Ingo always has great information. The only thing I could add would be to utilize the Voyager to drop you at different campgrounds. You could carry plenty of gear and food to keep you comfortable with minimal carrying distance.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jennyk
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by jennyk »

We stayed in a camper cabin in Windigo a couple summers ago with our then 2.5 year old. The set up sounds ideal for your group. The cabins are at the top of the hill, tucked behind the store. They aren't far from the ferry dock so someone from your group could make a few trips up with gear. The cabin beds were comfortable, thick foam mattresses and you can rent bedding, which will save room in your packs. There is a water spigot for drinking and washing between the cabins and an outhouse nearby. The flush toilets and showers (fee) are at the bottom of the hill. The store and visitor center are just a couple minutes walk from the cabins. We brought a small cooler with food and got ice once we got to the island. There are options for day hikes from Windigo and the visitor center had great ranger talks in the evenings.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

Most topics were covered above. I will only address one. "multiple hip replacements and osteoarthritis" suggests some serious bone issues. In my experience, these issues don't fair well in a slip and fall. Outside of most of the campgrounds (and inside some) the travel gets rough, wet and slippery. If weather is bad, emergency travel off the island could be delayed a day or two. Last year I sailed back with a woman with a hip injury. She wasn't able to be flown out and was lucky enough(?) to fall when the Ranger was preparing for departure. (we delayed on hour for her to be brought down). She fell on the Stoll trail which is arguably one of the smoothest trails in the island.

I have to agree with Ingo. I think a stay in Rock harbor might be best. There are hand carts and paved paths to the house keeping cabins to transport all the gear. One can rent a motor boat to travel to some of the trails and sights to still be able to experience most of what the island has to offer. Tobin harbor is often calm, you may choose to rent canoes and paddle around the private homes if rental boats aren't going out in Rock harbor.

some things to check out if you choose Rock harbor:

Stawberry island
Edison fishery
Suzy's cave
Maybe Mt Ojibway/Franklin (lots of up and down)
Maybe Lookout Louise (up and down)
various excursions on the Sandy (hotel boat)