Future Shutdowns

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Future Shutdowns

Post by chief54 »

Just talked to the Park HQ today and had a couple of questions regarding future shutdowns. Would they allow Queen, Voyaguer, Sea plane to take people out there if shut down this season. They did not have an answer, said powers that be had not talked about it but maybe they should. If shutdown happened in middle of season what would they do, find people all over the island and make them leave. Once again no answer but maybe powers that be talk about it. I spent many years in the US Coast Guard and was a merchant seaman for years and we always had plans for what might happen. I believe we can not trust our fearless leaders not to shut down time and time again. Food for thought.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Future Shutdowns

Post by fonixmunkee »

As a Government employee, I can tell you that each organization has its own set of furlough rules. There are protocols for a "orderly shutdown of operations," so just because the Government might be closed on March 1st, operations will continue until they are shutdown orderly (in the case of Isle Royale, I would assume that means getting people off the island, then closing it up).

Most Government organizations also call for retaining "essential personnel" who will work with or without pay, but are required to be there, to execute the orderly shtudown. I'm sure the NPS has something similar, that may include only having the LEOs and some rangers as "essential" to get everyone off the island. Once everyone is gone, then they go get a job bagging groceries until the administration can stop bickering like children and get back to the work of serving the people.