Day trip from Grand Portage

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hikernole
NewbieCake

Day trip from Grand Portage

Post by hikernole »

My family is looking into taking a day trip from Grand Portage in Mid-July. Looks like the boat operator office is closed for the Winter. Does anyone know how much demand there is for these trips. Basically would like to know how long I can wait until we need to purchase tickets online. The cancellation policy is not very liberal and I would prefer to wait if I could. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Day trip from Grand Portage

Post by Tom »

If you send them an email, the kind folks (Capt Don, et al) from Grand Portage Isle Royale will get back to you in due time. They all have 'other jobs' in the off season.
The best recommendation is to book the tickets as soon as you know you will be making the trip. Boats do fill up; it's a bit of guess on when that may happen (and how many tickets you need) because one day they may be half full and within 12 hours it will be booked because two groups made reservations.
As a general observation, you may have better luck waiting to book day trips (which is the Sea Hunter III) on days that the Voyageur II is also outbound to the Isle (M, W, Sat that time of year). This is because some of the backpackers may just take that boat to Windigo for a slightly earlier start.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Day trip from Grand Portage

Post by fonixmunkee »

Capt Don will follow-up with you in a few days if you send him an email or call and leave a voicemail at the office.

Like Tom said, things book up fast for the boat out of Grand Portage, so start making contact now!