Family trip planning

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

newb2019
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Family trip planning

Post by newb2019 »

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids ages 4-15), reservations for Windigo camper cabin early summer for 3 nights, transportation booked. We obviously won't be able to do too much hiking with kiddo. Any suggestions on how to fill/make-the-most-of our days? Some thoughts: hiking/ranger programs, become junior rangers, rent kayaks (where to go? tandem available?), go fishing (we're newbs). (Not doing: paying even MORE to go around the island on the ferry.) What hikes makes sense for us to include?

Does bringing an inflatable boat with oars make any sense whatsoever, maybe use that and rented kayak(s)? Will we need to bring our own life jackets or can we borrow/rent there?

Also, I am considering getting full mesh suits for us, as I would rather not use DEET or permethrin. Anyone try this? Will it be sufficient? Maybe I can use less concentrated DEET?

Re: food. Planning on bringing small plug-in cooler. Can use ice on the way over.

Re: bedding. Will bring sleeping bags, etc. Should I bring the cold weather ones (40 degrees), or will the warm weather ones (50 degrees) be sufficient?

Re: outhouse. TP provided?

Is it realistic to think we could go for a swim in Lake Superior? If doable, where makes the most sense for our family?

Anything else that I'm missing or need to know?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Family trip planning

Post by Ingo »

Ranger Programs: Always much more interesting than I expect.

Hiking: (a) There's a nice little loop trail around Windigo. (b) Grace Overlook is a couple miles down the trail towards Feldtmann Lake and scenic as it follows the harbor. (c) The Huginnin loop is probably too much at 10 miles or so, but makes a nice day hike if you're used to those miles. But you can head down any trail and decide when it's time to turn back--any other hike is an out and back in any case.

By Water: Bringing your own inflatable boat isn't a bad idea, but you may have to pay extra to transport it, depending on size. I know there are canoes and aluminum boats at Windigo, but not sure what they have for kayaks. For the family, I'd think a rental boat with or without a motor would be the best option, or rent a couple canoes. Moose like to hang out in the creek where it enters the harbor. The concessionaire has life jackets for the rentals, but not sure about renting them with your own boat. Even if you rent there, I'd bring my own for the 4 yr old, since I wouldn't trust what they may or may not have for small children.

Bugs: Personally I can't imagine running around in a full bug suit--I think long sleeve shirts/pants (light nylon if it's warm) with headnets is a better option. But I'm not opposed to using DEET, even 100%, and have all my life. More recently I've used Picaridin with good results--it doesn't "melt" plastics like DEET does. But it's obviously a personal decision whether to use the chemicals or not.

Sleeping bags: I'd take the warmer ones. You may not need them, being in the cabin, but it's easy insurance.

TP: provided.

Swimming: The water is COLD! But I do at least once every trip--if you define "swimming" as at least a full body immersion. I don't think the shore at Windigo is very conducive, however you can jump off the dock. But that is high and deep, so be careful and make sure you have others around capable of rescue--and pay attention to where the ladder is. So at Windigo, probably not a family activity, other than maybe jumping in just to say you did, for the older ones. Maybe someone else has a better option for swimming there.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Montana
NewbieCake

Post by Montana »

Here is a picture of one of the tandem kayaks at Windigo, they also have singles (and canoes). As Ingo mentioned the best bet for the little one is bringing a proper sized life jacket. Your swimming plans might be more realistic if you boat out to Beaver Island for a picnic lunch (you can wade into the water there more easily than around Windigo). I spent 2-days in Windigo with my 16 year daughter after we hiked from McCargoe Cove, we never lacked for fun activities. My guess is that your family will have a great adventure!
IMG_2328.JPG
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Montana wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:33 pm Your swimming plans might be more realistic if you boat out to Beaver Island for a picnic lunch (you can wade into the water there more easily than around Windigo).
That's what I was looking for! Sounds much better than jumping off that big dock with a 4 yr old :shock: .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

Thank you very much for your responses. We'll plan to do the two shorter hikes mentioned. 10 miles is probably more than ANY of us would be happy to do. :-)

How long would you estimate it would take to get from Windigo to Beaver Island (which sounds like a great idea) by kayak with low-medium average strength kayakers?

Are there ever microbes (a la brain-eating amoeba, etc) in the water that would make swimming a bad idea?

And I forgot to ask: will we be able to get butane for our camp stove? We had trouble getting it on our last camping trip, and am considering "upgrading" to dual fuel (butane/propane).
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

newb2019 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:28 pm How long would you estimate it would take to get from Windigo to Beaver Island (which sounds like a great idea) by kayak with low-medium average strength kayakers?
It's under a mile, so even with a light headwind I would think 30 minutes would be the longest it would take.
newb2019 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:28 pmAre there ever microbes (a la brain-eating amoeba, etc) in the water that would make swimming a bad idea?
While ameobas like naegleria flowleri and bacteria like E. coli should be considered naturally occuring and could always present themselves in warmer bays of Lake Superior, the likely hood of risk in June would most likely be very, very light. Hypothermia would be a far bigger concern.
While swimming around the dock area of Windigo leaves plenty to be desired, if wanting to get the "claim of swimming in Superior" then I would recommend entering and wading about the alluvial fan of Washington Creek. The stream output is slightly (slightly) warmer and on a sunny day the shallows may warm a bit. It also makes for a more gentle entry.
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

Tom wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:48 am I would recommend entering and wading about the alluvial fan of Washington Creek. The stream output is slightly (slightly) warmer and on a sunny day the shallows may warm a bit. It also makes for a more gentle entry.
This is very helpful, thank you.

I'm trying to get more of a feel for the bug situation (it's actually early July). My kid said, "as long as it's not worse than Wonder Lake," so, if anyone can compare to Wonder Lake in Denali (we couldn't even take our head nets off to eat), I'd really appreciate it. :-)

Regarding the water spigot at the cabins: does anyone know if I would be able to connect a short hose with nozzle attachment to be able to shower/hose off? I'd rather not pay for showers for everyone after a quick dip in the lake/kayaking adventure.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Regarding the water spigot at the cabins: does anyone know if I would be able to connect a short hose with nozzle attachment to be able to shower/hose off? I'd rather not pay for showers for everyone after a quick dip in the lake/kayaking adventure.
While I don't know if it is allowed, it might be considered "poor style." Similar to washing your dishes in the bathroom sink. The two cabins share the water spigot and use the water to drink from.

When going to Isle Royale, taking a dip in the lake is "getting clean!" After backpacking for several days at the Isle, I had no problem paying for the shower at Windigo.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

newb2019 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:28 pm And I forgot to ask: will we be able to get butane for our camp stove? We had trouble getting it on our last camping trip, and am considering "upgrading" to dual fuel (butane/propane).
You can get Isobutane-propane canisters like this: https://www.rei.com/product/114890/msr- ... et-2-stove. And white gas. But unlikely anything else.
I'm trying to get more of a feel for the bug situation (it's actually early July). My kid said, "as long as it's not worse than Wonder Lake," so, if anyone can compare to Wonder Lake in Denali (we couldn't even take our head nets off to eat), I'd really appreciate it. :-)
I doubt as bad as Denali, but I haven't been. It all depends on the weather and if there's been a recent hatch. I've been twice at that time of year--once was not too bad at all and the other pretty miserable when the sun went down. I've never found the skeeters overwhelming during the day, but they really come out at sundown. The black flies, however, can be pretty annoying during the day if there's been a hatch.
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

kolo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:51 am
While I don't know if it is allowed, it might be considered "poor style." Similar to washing your dishes in the bathroom sink. The two cabins share the water spigot and use the water to drink from.
I'm sure I saw somewhere that the spigot was for cooking, washing up, etc. To me that means washing utensils/pots is OK, rinsing off dirty feet is OK. That's just a small step from hosing off. It's my understanding that there are just two cabins, so it's not like we will be hogging the water supply while there is a long line. Is it connecting external "equipment" that doesn't sit right with you? I've seen the communal spigots before, and doubt I'd think twice if someone hosed themselves off real quick. Am I wrong? Is it really poor form?
When going to Isle Royale, taking a dip in the lake is "getting clean!" After backpacking for several days at the Isle, I had no problem paying for the shower at Windigo.
Yes, pay for showers. No to multiple times per day to rinse off. We are not backpackers, hence the stay in the cabin.

If multiple people object or if I find out it is in fact not allowed or not possible, a "family shower" could be an option. Unless there are separate (M/F) showers...anyone?
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

Ingo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:41 am You can get Isobutane-propane canisters like this: https://www.rei.com/product/114890/msr- ... et-2-stove. And white gas. But unlikely anything else.
OK, thank you. We'll just pick some up before we take the ferry.
I doubt as bad as Denali, but I haven't been. It all depends on the weather and if there's been a recent hatch. I've been twice at that time of year--once was not too bad at all and the other pretty miserable when the sun went down. I've never found the skeeters overwhelming during the day, but they really come out at sundown. The black flies, however, can be pretty annoying during the day if there's been a hatch.
Not really familiar with black flies. Are they like house flies that are attracted to fecal matter? Do they bite or are just annoying?
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

newb2019 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:17 am Not really familiar with black flies. Are they like house flies that are attracted to fecal matter? Do they bite or are just annoying?
Black flies (stable flies I think is their real name?) are vicious buggers. They swarm and bite quite painfully. They're a particular terror of the Lake Superior region. But as with mosquitoes, it all depends on whether it's been warm enough, whether there's been a hatch lately, and which way the wind is blowing from.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

I'm sure I saw somewhere that the spigot was for cooking, washing up, etc. To me that means washing utensils/pots is OK, rinsing off dirty feet is OK. That's just a small step from hosing off. It's my understanding that there are just two cabins, so it's not like we will be hogging the water supply while there is a long line. Is it connecting external "equipment" that doesn't sit right with you? I've seen the communal spigots before, and doubt I'd think twice if someone hosed themselves off real quick. Am I wrong? Is it really poor form?
I am not trying to be a jerk. You asked a question and I thought I would offer a possible answer. If you thought you already read the answer somewhere, why did you ask then? It appears that you already had your mind made up anyway.

I stayed at one of the cabins this past summer with my 77 year-old dad and 65 year-old hiking buddy. None of us even thought to bath at the water spigot. I wouldn’t have liked to have seen a 77 year-old camper from the other cabin bathing at the water spigot where I wanted to get my drinking water. Of course two of us are seasoned hikers/backpackers/campers and know the ethics.

In my trips to the Isle, I try to avoid the east end of the island (Rock Harbor) because it is more touristy and has many more amenities. I prefer the west end (Windigo) because it is more primitive and much less touristy.

Again, not trying to be a jerk, but if you need more amenities maybe you should consider Rock Harbor. There is a nice lodge with showers or housekeeping duplexes available. I can’t remember if the housekeeping cabins have showers though. There is a nice hike out to Scolville Point. You can rent canoes or kayaks and paddle around Tobin Harbor, which is relatively protected and very scenic. There is a restaurant and grille.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I agree with Kolo on east versus west. I almost always go to the west side because there is less of everything there. But I don't travel with a family or young kids. The Rock Harbor area would offer you more amenities and a greater number of easy and short day hikes. Conoeing and kayaking mike be better there too, but my experience is limited.

You mentioned fishing. Remember you will need a Michigan fishing license (for all Superior waters) and, I believe, barbless hooks. Others can offer greater guidance on what the fishing is like.
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

dcclark wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:47 pm Black flies (stable flies I think is their real name?) are vicious buggers. They swarm and bite quite painfully. They're a particular terror of the Lake Superior region. But as with mosquitoes, it all depends on whether it's been warm enough, whether there's been a hatch lately, and which way the wind is blowing from.
Sounds like a spin of the dice. I guess we'll have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
kolo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:49 pm Again, not trying to be a jerk, but if you need more amenities maybe you should consider Rock Harbor. There is a nice lodge with showers or housekeeping duplexes available. I can’t remember if the housekeeping cabins have showers though. There is a nice hike out to Scolville Point. You can rent canoes or kayaks and paddle around Tobin Harbor, which is relatively protected and very scenic. There is a restaurant and grille.
Didn't think you were being a jerk. I haven't been there yet and am trying to clarify things; certainly have not "made up my mind" to do it.

We did consider Rock Harbor and it doesn't make sense for us. We're fine with fewer amenities.
JerryB wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:16 pm You mentioned fishing. Remember you will need a Michigan fishing license (for all Superior waters) and, I believe, barbless hooks. Others can offer greater guidance on what the fishing is like.
Thank you. I believe we can get the license at Windigo? Can we rent gear/buy hooks there? (We probably won't make up our minds until we're actually there.)