Family trip planning

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Family trip planning

Post by JerryB »

Not sure about fishing stuff. Someone here should know or check out the park service newspaper, the Greenstone. Lots of info there.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Don’t use the spigot to shower. All the non natural soap will run off into the wilderness. Not exactly LNT. Embrace the being in nature part. One doesn’t have to shower every day. There are perfectly nice shower facilities in Windigo for a reasonable price.

Yes you can buy fishing gear in the island store. Be prepared for a little bit of a markup on price though. Would definitely be cheaper on the mainland. Rules and regs can be found in the greenstone.

We made a little video showing the store goods in Windigo.
Nothing fancy but maybe it’ll help you with planning.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

newb2019 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:17 am Not really familiar with black flies. Are they like house flies that are attracted to fecal matter? Do they bite or are just annoying?
No. Black flies are small (up to 1/8 inch long) and are also known as buffalo gnats since they have a humpback appearance. Black flies hatch from cool, clean rivers (i.e. moving water). They usually emerge in mid-to-late May and last until early-to-mid July, when the heat of the summer becomes more consistent. I personally find black flies to be more troublesome than mosquitoes. I would bring a headnet as a precaution, as they are not repelled much by common bug repellants. I also bring rubber bands to cinch my shirt/pant cuffs to keep the little buggers from burrowing under my clothes.

Stable flies are also erroneously called black flies, but are really a biting house fly. They usually show up in larger numbers along lake shorelines and prefer to bite feet and ankles.

Link to "Biting Bugs to Avoid (Ottawa National Forest, MI)" --> https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 112290.pdf

Luckily, there are no ticks on Isle Royale that feed on human hosts. There is a tick there but they prefer moose.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Headnets for everyone is the best insurance policy against black flies. They are lightweight, cheap and store easily, so bring an extra just in case. Also, leave the dark colors at home. Stick with the lighter colors for clothing as black flies are more attracted to the dark colors. Once the sun sets the black flies will disappear but of course then the skeeters come out. Black flies seem to swarm so they aren't terrible everywhere and even a slight breeze can provide relief.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Lived in the shadow of Denali for 20+ years and have spent countless nights at Wonder Lake after multi week trips into the back country and have been going to IR since the early 60's when father took me out there as a little boy. Denali and IR are my two favorite places in the world. I agree with Ingo that mesh suits would be overkill, if you handled WL then IR will be a piece of cake. Remember the mosquito is the Alaska State Bird, Ha, Ha,I do not use any kind of repellent at IR although the black flies can be annoying.
As for hooking up hose to spigot if I came across that I would be annoyed. showers at Windigo are cheap and fine. I agree that RH with its Housekeeping cabins might be a better fit for family and as everybody says more to do at RH. But what ever you choose you will not be disapointed, your children are lucky to see such wonderful places. I will be out there early summer doing some serious photography, ie; Milky Way shots.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
newb2019
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by newb2019 »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:19 pm Don’t use the spigot to shower. All the non natural soap will run off into the wilderness. Not exactly LNT. Embrace the being in nature part. One doesn’t have to shower every day. There are perfectly nice shower facilities in Windigo for a reasonable price.
To clarify, by "hose off," I meant a quick rinse, no soap. Showering in the evening instead of the morning might make more sense while on the island. Shower facilities=$5/5 min * 5 people * 3 days = $75. Easy place to cut costs. ;-)

But this does bring up another point, washing utensils/pots. The Greenstone talks about this, but unclear if it applies to the cabins. Is there a dishwashing sink in the Windigo area?

I see there is a fish cleaning station at Windigo. Any photos/videos?
We made a little video showing the store goods in Windigo.
Nothing fancy but maybe it’ll help you with planning.
This is really helpful, thank you. If those are the things people want while there, we should probably base our packing list on it. :-)

@chief54, I loved Wonder Lake, would've liked to be able to spend a second night there, but we didn't handle it as well as we could have. Ran out of repellent. :-( In our family, the girls do not wear pants, so insufficient leg protection. Faces were fine, though, behind the head nets.

60% of the family is into photography. Where are good places for Milky Way shots in the Windigo area?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

newb2019 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:30 am But this does bring up another point, washing utensils/pots. The Greenstone talks about this, but unclear if it applies to the cabins. Is there a dishwashing sink in the Windigo area?
The folks at the store, who run the concessions and the cabins, should clarify this when you check it. They gotta have made some provision for it!
{store video} is really helpful, thank you. If those are the things people want while there, we should probably base our packing list on it. :-)
Based on my last trip there, early in the season, you'd bring nothing but Pringles ;).
(Apparently their first supply shipment was all the Pringles for the season and not much else, so a whole wall of the store was Pringles. Do note that they weren't officially open yet--it was just a temporary storage solution...)
60% of the family is into photography. Where are good places for Milky Way shots in the Windigo area?
The main dock extends well into the harbor, and will have the widest view of the sky, but there's a light at the end and there could be boats with lights docked and a few other visible lights in the area. Not a real problem for viewing, but could affect time exposures. The seaplane dock probably has the least light pollution, since it's a bit away from the main dock area, but it's closer to shore with a somewhat less open view of the sky.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

Once again agree with Ingo about sea plane dock also where Washington Creek flows into main water by where the shelters are for M/W.I may try to head up Feldtman Lake trail to overlook but not a big fan of hiking at night. Will also be spending a couple of days at Moskey for sunrise and M/W and also Daisy Farm and last night at Rock will do Scovile Pt. for sunrise and M/W. Astrophotgraphy and birds in flight are my passion.If you would like let me know when you will be there always willing to share my knowledge of photography and IR. See my post in Trip Reports for my itinerary and the list of camera gear I will be bringing out.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

newb2019,

In trying to answer one of your questions, I didn’t want to sound like a “negative nanny.” On a positive note, you deserve some props/kudos for taking your kids to Isle Royale!

We are losing a generation of young people to “nature deficit disorder.” Too many young people get too much screen time and not nearly enough physical activity. You are giving your kids the gift/seed of adventure and hopefully they will make it part of their adult lives! Maybe you will be going back to Isle Royale with grandkids!
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

Ingo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:12 am Based on my last trip there, early in the season, you'd bring nothing but Pringles ;).
:D Can't stand Pringles. Like eating plain salt. But is there science behind it---are backpackers low on sodium after hiking across the island and crave something salty?
The main dock extends well into the harbor, and will have the widest view of the sky, but there's a light at the end and there could be boats with lights docked and a few other visible lights in the area. Not a real problem for viewing, but could affect time exposures. The seaplane dock probably has the least light pollution, since it's a bit away from the main dock area, but it's closer to shore with a somewhat less open view of the sky.
This is very helpful, thank you. Are the skies usually clear that time of year?
chief54 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:23 am Once again agree with Ingo about sea plane dock also where Washington Creek flows into main water by where the shelters are for M/W.I may try to head up Feldtman Lake trail to overlook but not a big fan of hiking at night. Will also be spending a couple of days at Moskey for sunrise and M/W and also Daisy Farm and last night at Rock will do Scovile Pt. for sunrise and M/W. Astrophotgraphy and birds in flight are my passion.If you would like let me know when you will be there always willing to share my knowledge of photography and IR. See my post in Trip Reports for my itinerary and the list of camera gear I will be bringing out.
Most of what you list are too far for us, but the birds in flight is high interest as well. I only found a short thread of yours on the TR board, but I didn't notice camera gear. Can you please post link? I will try to send you a PM.
kolo wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:30 pm On a positive note, you deserve some props/kudos for taking your kids to Isle Royale!

We are losing a generation of young people to “nature deficit disorder.” Too many young people get too much screen time and not nearly enough physical activity. You are giving your kids the gift/seed of adventure and hopefully they will make it part of their adult lives! Maybe you will be going back to Isle Royale with grandkids!
Thanks! My teenager would take WiFi any day over our "adventures." ISRO with grandkids.... :twisted:
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

newb2019 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:43 am This is very helpful, thank you. Are the skies usually clear that time of year?
This brings up a good thing to mention -- you should count on at least one day of rain. It's pretty much inevitable in Isle Royale. Otherwise, the skies can be clear, or totally cloudy, or anywhere in between. Probably slightly more likely to be clear or partly cloudy, but it's really hit-or-miss. Lake Superior has a huge influence on the island, and clouds/rain are part of that.
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

newb2019 here is my iternary for my trip and a short list of photo gear I will be bringing out. If you would like I have a website with some of my images. If you would like send me a pm and I will send link Chief
Re: 2019 Trip Log - Add your planned itinerary here!

Post by chief54 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:28 am
Arrival 5/31 by Ranger

Depart 6/7 by sea plane

This is basically same trip I had planed last year but had to cancel at last moment to due rotator cuff surgery, bummer. I will be base camping at Daisy Farm, Moskey Basin, Windigo and 1 night in Rock midway and 1 night last night. I will be using Voyaguer and water taxis due to carrying 60lbs of camera gear. In all my trips I have always brought crappy little disposable and point and shoot cameras due to weight. I will be doing astrophotgraphy, panoramic, birds in flight, sunrise/sunset and video. So I will have two Canon DSLR's, GoPRo, waterproof Nikon and a infrared/motion sensing camera long with a number of lenses from 15mm up to the 600mm. Along with tripods and all the necessary gear to make this a photography centered trip. Really excited.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

About the showers at Windigo, there are individual little shower rooms, with locking doors, and a token-operated machine inside the room. Get tokens at the store. Not designated separately for men’s or women’s. I think there are three of the shower rooms. You get no water until you put the tokens in, so get everything ready beforehand.
newb2019
NewbieCake

Post by newb2019 »

chief54 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 am newb2019 here is my iternary for my trip and a short list of photo gear I will be bringing out. If you would like I have a website with some of my images. If you would like send me a pm and I will send link Chief
Re: 2019 Trip Log - Add your planned itinerary here!

Post by chief54 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:28 am
Arrival 5/31 by Ranger

Depart 6/7 by sea plane

This is basically same trip I had planed last year but had to cancel at last moment to due rotator cuff surgery, bummer. I will be base camping at Daisy Farm, Moskey Basin, Windigo and 1 night in Rock midway and 1 night last night. I will be using Voyaguer and water taxis due to carrying 60lbs of camera gear. In all my trips I have always brought crappy little disposable and point and shoot cameras due to weight. I will be doing astrophotgraphy, panoramic, birds in flight, sunrise/sunset and video. So I will have two Canon DSLR's, GoPRo, waterproof Nikon and a infrared/motion sensing camera long with a number of lenses from 15mm up to the 600mm. Along with tripods and all the necessary gear to make this a photography centered trip. Really excited.
I'd love to see your photos from this trip when you get back! What do you plan on using the motion sensing camera for? Have a wonderful time!
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

more than happy to share images, I have a website also. gonna use motion sensing camera at night around campsite, over the years have had numerous visitors at night mostly moose and fox but who knows. during day will use off trail some where and see what there is to see.