What can I do if I have to camp at Rock Harbor for the first night?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Haisen
NewbieCake

What can I do if I have to camp at Rock Harbor for the first night?

Post by Haisen »

I and my family will have our first visit to IR next week and stay on the island only one night. Because my younger children may not be able to walk several miles from Rock Harbor to other campsite, camping one night near Rock Harbor is my preferred and maybe the only option. So what can I do if all the campsites at Rock Harbor have been occupied after we get there by Isle Royale Queen III?
Last edited by Haisen on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Is using a folding hand cart on the trail practical?

Post by Vandy »

From the Greenstone:

Wheeled Transportation
Wheeled vehicles (except for non-motorized wheelchairs) or other
mechanical forms of transportation are not allowed outside developed areas
at Rock Harbor and Windigo. This includes bicycles and portaging devices.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Welcome to the forums, Haisen. Even if the cart was allowed it would very impractical on the Isle Royale trails due their extremely bumpy and irregular surface.

If your inquiry was based upon need instead of inconvenience then I suggest you look into other options. There are several campgrounds on Lake Superior that are accessible by either the Voyageur II ferry or the Lodge water taxi service. They all have at least a 3 consecutive night stay allowed (except for Rock Harbor which is only 1 night). This would allow you to be dropped off by the Voyageur and then get picked up again 2 days later (or 3 days depending on day of the week). You then could head home or stay at another of the 5 or so campgrounds accessible using this method. This would allow you to experience a great deal of what The Island has to offer. There are also the Lodge and housekeeping units available or the more rustic cabins in Windigo.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Haisen
NewbieCake

Post by Haisen »

Thanks the Greenstone and Midwest Ed for replying. Now I get a better idea about the condition of the trail and regulations. I give up the thought of using folding hand cart, rather, will use hiking backpack to carry my camping stuff. We will stay near Rock Harbor for one night, but will have more camping after getting experience and having all the gear prepared
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Haisen, you can stay one night at Rock Harbor, then carry your gear by backpack to Three Mike campground in less than two hours walking time. Once you arrive at Three -mile you can set up camp, and go hiking with just a daypack. There is a trail going up to Mount Franklin for views of the island. Then you can stay overnight and walk back to Rock harbor the next day on a different trail, the Tobin Harbor trail. I hope you have fun planning your trip, and that you enjoy Isle Royale.