house boats

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

romamac
NewbieCake

house boats

Post by romamac »

What is the widest "beam" width boat that can be parked at the Marina. I know the ad's state up to 60+ ft. length. I was wondering about a house boat type set -up. Also, would there be a method od transport? Thanks for any thoughts or ideas. Bobby.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Re: house boats

Post by bobcat »

Method of transport? You would need to have a boat capable of being sailed or driven out to the island, across the open waters of Lake Superior. Last week there were several live-aboard sailboats including one from France. And there were some large cabin cruisers too. The kind of “houseboat” built on a flat barge might not be so good crossing the lake. Renting houseboats is popular at Voyageurs National Park in northern Minnesota.
booyah
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by booyah »

Not quite true bobcat,

Ranger will transport boats of various size depending upon availability. You will have to check options/limitations with the Ranger though.
We were talking to a guy at moskey who had his 16ft aluminum boat brought over on the Ranger.

Not sure how a houseboat/pontoon type setup would work on the lake though outside of sheltered waters.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Ranger will transport boats up to 20 ft long. I didn’t see any guidance about width or height or weight restriction. I have seen sailboats and motorboats transported, but never what I would consider a houseboat or pontoon boat. Does not mean it can’t t be done, but you should get in touch with the Houghton office to ask.

The original question about mooring at the docks is still up for grabs. If the boat is less than 20’, I expect it won’t be wider than a 60’ live-aboard yacht. Maybe the original poster could add more specifics?