Artist in Residence

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Artist in Residence

Post by hooky »

I feel guilty right now, like I've been listening to someone's private conversation at the Library Bar, not about it. My son and I had dinner there the first time we went to the island. I can understand the attraction to the place.

Chief, the explanation they gave you makes zero sense to me. I hope you apply again and get selected.
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Thanks hooky, not sure if I will apply again, we will see, nothing ventured nothing gained.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
RogersPass54
NewbieCake

Post by RogersPass54 »

chief54 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:20 pm They have announced the 3 persons selected for the 2020 Artist in Residence program. First I would like to congratulate the 3 folks chosen, mixed media, writing and scientific illustration and 6 alternates. I applied as a award winning and published photographer and as someone with over 50 years of exploring the island as a backpacker and spending part of my time in the U.S. Coast Guard on the cutter that maintained all the aids to navigation on Lake Superior and am not surprised I was not chosen. When I was applying, after some research I found that in the last 20 years and around 80 artists chosen there were only 5 photographers. I talked to the AIR Coordinator at the park and inquired why so few photographers were chosen and was told that everybody has an iphone, everybody is a photographer so you need to be creative not the run of the mill photographer.I replied tongue in cheek you mean like photoshopping a polar bear into the middle of Lake Superior, the reply yes be creative. I also inquired about relationship with the island and was told that helps but will not get you over the finish line. So I am bummed out I was not chosen but happy for the folks that were. If IR opens for the season good luck out there and can not wait to see your art.
Just came across your thread today. I applied for the AIR for close to 20 years in a row. I was selected as an alternate one year. Heard nothing more until a phone call one day asking me to take the place of a selected artist who wasn't able to make the schedule. When? Well, the phone call was on a Friday and they wanted me to show up that Sunday or Monday. It was a one-week residency. My summer was totally free EXCEPT for that one week and that was for an archeological program in Idaho. Since I was already committed as part of a team that consisted only of two other people I couldn't bail and leave them so short on the work team. I think that was in my 14th year or so of applying for Isle Royale's AIR. All the years before and since that particular year I kept my summers totally uncommitted "just in case." So that one time was an odd circumstance (especially since I always specified on my AIR applications that I wanted a late summer residency August/September and the call to fill in as an alternate was for an early June slot.) Oh well. I applied some more times after that but never selected. Over the years I always made it a point to look up the artists who were selected each year and noticed that a very significant high percentage of them hold advanced degrees and/or are professors or associated in some way with arts organizations. I would hope that is not a tipping factor in the selection process as the national parks belong to all of us regardless of how we've been educated (whether college or the school of hard knocks or boots on the ground experience and persistence.) Off topic here a bit, Chief54, I suspect we are both in the same age group based on your moniker and mention of having visited Isle Royale at age 10 in 1965. Also, I served in the active USAF --- although not the US Coast Guard as you did but probably about the same time frame.
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

RogerPass54, thats quite the story, so many years and then get the call and can not make it. I had a similar experience, not the AIR. It was hard to say no. What would have been worse where to have been selected and then the virus.......You are spot on about the advanced degrees, also there are a few repeat AIR from other parks. its almost if it were an old time guild. Oh well.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times