Find groups?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

afiguy02
NewbieCake

Find groups?

Post by afiguy02 »

Hello,

New to the forums.

I was just wondering if there was a goto website or sub-forum to coordinate with other people or groups to hike the park? I could go solo, but I think it would be more enjoyable with fellow hikers. Thanks in advance.

Dave
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Find groups?

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I dont think there is a dedicated site for IR meetups. I am sure you could post here! There is also a facebook group and a reddit group that you could try posting in.
afiguy02
NewbieCake

Post by afiguy02 »

Ok thanks, I will look into joining those as well.

Thinking about a trip out there in the late August or early September. Wondering if that is a good time frame to avoid black flies and will still have decent weather. Do most people that want to traverse the island goto Windigo and hike to Rock Harbor?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'd post your plans in Trails and Campsites and ask there, since it's the most active sub-forum. Also suggest noting your level of experience, type of mileage you plan, and how fast you tend to travel. But as noted, there's probably more traffic on FB these days.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

afiguy02 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:11 am Ok thanks, I will look into joining those as well.

Thinking about a trip out there in the late August or early September. Wondering if that is a good time frame to avoid black flies and will still have decent weather. Do most people that want to traverse the island goto Windigo and hike to Rock Harbor?
Yup that is a good time of year bug wise (obviously some years are exceptions but for the most part you should be good). People go both directions when doing an end to end. Personally we liked ending in windigo on our end to end.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Ingo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:48 am But as noted, there's probably more traffic on FB these days.
True, but I always find more useful and focused advice here, with less nonsense and repetition!

Back on topic: August/early September is wonderful. I've gone in early-mid August twice, and the blueberries (and sometimes thimbleberries) alone are with the trip.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

dcclark wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:16 pm
Ingo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:48 am But as noted, there's probably more traffic on FB these days.
True, but I always find more useful and focused advice here, with less nonsense and repetition!
Yup :D .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH