Coronavirus Discussion

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Coronavirus Discussion

Post by hooky »

Bobcat1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:50 pm The advantage to the Upper Missouri is that you can drive there in your own vehicles and stay isolated to just your immediate companions. For Isle Royale, you can’t avoid the other visitors and staff of the transport mode, unless you have your own boat. If the pandemic has lessened, and your concern is being out of cell phone coverage, yup that’s a problem either place.
Even if I had cell coverage, it wouldn't work. It's not about the occasional phone call, it's about needing to be engaged all the time. This is really a huge bummer right now with our customers and staff trying to make sense of everything. I'm busier right now than I was before all this started and it doesn't look like it will let up for us until months after the virus lays down.

I'm hoping I can get out in the kayak for some Sunday floats and fishing just to get a recharge, even though it would be brief.
chippy
NewbieCake

Post by chippy »

I e-mailed Isle Royale Seaplanes yesterday just asking if they had any updates on whether trips would be going (we have one scheduled early June). They said they have a meeting planned with Park Management this week and then they will inform customers about whether their trips are going or not. Fingers crossed :)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Even with all the wilderness time I've experienced in the past 44 years, I have now set a new personal record for the longest time spent without human face to face time, all from the comfort of my home. It's my son's opinion that given my age and health I should not leave the house. Due to his pressure so be it, although it may be the best thing for me. Stay safe and sane everyone.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Midwest Ed wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:09 pm Even with all the wilderness time I've experienced in the past 44 years, I have now set a new personal record for the longest time spent without human face to face time, all from the comfort of my home. It's my son's opinion that given my age and health I should not leave the house. Due to his pressure so be it, although it may be the best thing for me. Stay safe and sane everyone.
Midwest Ed, I think your making the right choice by staying home. I am in my mid 60's and not in perfect shape (look more like a bowling ball :D) but have not left house in over 2 weeks. Being an avid bird photographer I do miss my daily walk around local lake with the eagles, ospreys and many varieties of ducks and all my photographer friends. We are lucky out here along the central California coast with our 2+ acres, no eagles or ospreys, ducks but lots of hawks, songbirds and its hummingbird time in our extensive garden. I am also an astrophotographer and the Milky Way is starting to make its summer appearance and being semi rural not a lot of light pollution so I am pretty set, but I do miss all my friends. So everybody enjoy each day and stay safe as you can.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

Any updates from the seaplane or Queen. I am scheduled for two weeks in June :| hopeful
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

TopCarrot wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:45 pm Any updates from the seaplane or Queen. I am scheduled for two weeks in June :| hopeful
As of today, April 3rd, the Isle Royale National Park Website states:
National Park Service wrote:Impact on Isle Royale National Park Summer 2020 Island Visitation
At this time, Isle Royale is moving forward with full Summer 2020 Island visitation operations.
So I noticed they referenced Summer vs Spring for what that's worth.
I suggest you directly contact your ferry or plane service directly. They may know more than what is on the NPS website.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
chippy
NewbieCake

Post by chippy »

I have not heard back from the Seaplanes after our e-mail last week.
chippy
NewbieCake

Post by chippy »

Got an e-mail from the sea planes today that the park will not be opening until June 15 this year :(
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

The NPS has indicated the park will not open until June 15th