Drones and unmanned aircraft

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Drones and unmanned aircraft

Post by johnhens »

For folks wondering if drones and the like are allowed. From the Superintendant's Compendium:

Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of Isle Royale National Park is prohibited except as approved in writing by the Superintendent.
Definition: The term “unmanned aircraft” means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device, and the associated operational elements and components that are required for the pilot or system operator in command to operate or control the device (such as cameras, sensors, communication links.) This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g. model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce.
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Drones and unmanned aircraft

Post by chief54 »

I have been flying Quadcopters or R/C aircraft, do not like calling them drones, for over 5 years. I bought my first one in hopes of taking images of the Grand Canyon among other places. After 5 minutes into my first flight over our property, over 2 acres, I said to myself, I will never take this to the Grand Canyon. They are a lot of fun, can take great images but there is a time and place for them and the National Parks, Forests, State Parks etc. are not the place.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times