Thoughts with travel due to COVID 19

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

parkhiker3
NewbieCake

Thoughts with travel due to COVID 19

Post by parkhiker3 »

We have had our trip planned for quite some time for the first week of July, but it is a little worrisome whether we should travel or not due to the virus. Our reservations are to fly in and 3 nights staying at Rock Harbor Lodge. Any thoughts on the safety ???
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Thoughts with travel due to COVID 19

Post by thesneakymonkey »

I think the park will make that decision for you. If we are still under shelter in place orders then traveling unnecessarily is not a good idea. I don’t believe the park will open if we (Michigan) are still under that order.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Also wonder if we'll be able to camp in our national forests and corps of engr. campgrounds this summer.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

The only reason I see to restrict a fairly solitary pursuit like backpacking is to reduce any possible strain on the search and rescue services. An ambulance could haul 5 COVID-19 patients to hospital in the time it takes to find and transport one hiker who fell and dislocated his shoulder. Also, in the case of Isle Royale, you have to consider transportation. The ferries can get pretty crowded.
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Also most hospitals near wilderness settings are small and should be for the folks that live in the area.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times