IR announces further openings 6/23/20

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

IR announces further openings 6/23/20

Post by johnhens »

https://www.nps.gov/isro/learn/news/isl ... Nny5mq7ZuI

Beginning June 26, 2020, campgrounds, docks, and trails will be open, with the exception of North Desor campground and the Minong Trail from the Hatchet Lake junction to the East Huginnin Trail junction.

Beginning June 26, 2020, Houghton, Rock Harbor, and Windigo Visitor Centers will open. Island visitor centers will have reduced hours, reduced capacities, and limited services.

Visitors should pay entrance fees in advance at www.pay.gov.
Boater overnight permits will be issued by phone and email from the Houghton visitor center.
Backcountry camping permits for seaplane passengers will be issued on the island upon arrival.
Call 906-482-0984 or email isro_parkinfo@nps.gov for more information.
Beginning June 27, 2020, Isle Royale Seaplanes will resume operations and provide visitor transportation to the park from Hancock, Michigan, and Grand Marais, Minnesota.

Beginning July 1, 2020, gasoline and diesel fuel for boaters will be sold at Rock Harbor and Windigo. Rock Harbor Dockside Store will open with a very limited selection of camping food and supplies.
With public health in mind, the following facilities and services will remain closed for the summer:

North Desor campground.
Minong Trail from Hatchet Lake junction to East Huginnin Trail junction.
Rock Harbor Lodge: Lakeside Lodge, Housekeeping Cabins, Gift Shop, Lighthouse Restaurant, Greenstone Grill, Marina (with the exception of fuel sales), fishing charters, sightseeing tours, and water taxi service.
Windigo Store, Marina, and Camper cabins.
Passenger ferry service to the island remains suspended.
The health and safety of visitors, employees, volunteers, and partners continues to be paramount. At Isle Royale, our operational approach will be to examine each facility function and service provided to ensure those operations comply with current public health guidance and will be regularly monitored. We continue to work closely with the NPS Office of Public Health using CDC guidance to ensure public and workspaces are safe and clean for visitors, employees, partners, and volunteers.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: IR announces further openings 6/23/20

Post by torpified »

I wonder what the rationale for the Minong closure is? (My guess is that it has to do with drain on staff time and energy from patrolling/potential SAR operations along that corridor.)
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

torpified wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49 am I wonder what the rationale for the Minong closure is? (My guess is that it has to do with drain on staff time and energy from patrolling/potential SAR operations along that corridor.)
After the winter, that part of the Mining is probably a mess. Since the number of visitors on the Island will be greatly reduced this year, the Park Service probably didn't want to spend the time or money on trail maintenance. What trail staff they have probably will be spending all their time on the Greenstone.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

torpified wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:49 am I wonder what the rationale for the Minong closure is? (My guess is that it has to do with drain on staff time and energy from patrolling/potential SAR operations along that corridor.)
That is it. there should be a FAQ addressing this.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

North Desor is the most remote campsite not accessible by boat, as well as being the midpoint of a remote section of trail. It makes sense in terms of staff time and risk management.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

johnhens wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:21 am
That is it. there should be a FAQ addressing this.

Indeed there is! thanks for keeping the information flowing.
Spyder1
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Spyder1 »

Closure of the Minong may be minor got a bad feeling about this virus rearing it’s ugly head again this park opening may be short lived. Hopefully not but the signs are not good, as a person with a September seaplane reservation it sucks but you have to look at the big picture and save lives. I hope I am wrong about this for a multitude of reasons!
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Spyder1 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:49 pm Closure of the Minong may be minor got a bad feeling about this virus rearing it’s ugly head again this park opening may be short lived. Hopefully not but the signs are not good, as a person with a September seaplane reservation it sucks but you have to look at the big picture and save lives. I hope I am wrong about this for a multitude of reasons!
Could not agree with you more. The virus has not gone away and it does not look like it will until who knows when. Why anybody would travel and put other folks in jeopardy is beyond me. I get that if you live near the park and are not sick, (maybe you are just carrying it and passing it along) you can drive and social distance and then when at park you are pretty much alone. I understand folks want to get back to normal. We sure do, new R/V and no place to go. But that is a straw dog. As I have said before in this forum what happens if you get sick, injured you then need to depend on other people. To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately".
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times