Isle Royale Webcams

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Isle Royale Webcams

Post by Tom »

Midwest Ed wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:07 am It's also showing the lights of a boat or two over-nighting at the dock, I'm assuming due to the closure of the marina.
Morning light shows the Ranger III sitting at the dock. Must be dropping off some supplies.
RangerAtRockHarbor.PNG
torpified wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:34 pm (the people who run the park? the people who run IRKPA?)
If you're serious, I would think reaching out to the Grand Portage Indian Community and having them as a co-applicant would also look good on the form.. (https://www.wtip.org/grand-portage-ance ... sle-royale)

BTW - I would seriously consider taking a 'shift' with the equipment! That would be so cool.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Midwest Ed wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:36 pm
I agree it appears that getting more "prestigious" people or organizations to support this effort would be advantageous to success. The Google resources are obviously limited or at least well supervised. There are many people that may never see the top of the Greenstone Ridge again (like probably me) and many more that will never have even the opportunity. The recent upgrades and expansion of the webcams demonstrate the Park management is responsive to supporting this type of technology promotion. The aspects of "least visited", "most return visitors" and "unique remoteness" all can play into convincing the Google people to get on board.
Tom wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:04 am
If you're serious, I would think reaching out to the Grand Portage Indian Community and having them as a co-applicant would also look good on the form.. (https://www.wtip.org/grand-portage-ance ... sle-royale)

BTW - I would seriously consider taking a 'shift' with the equipment! That would be so cool.
Thanks! Strategies are emerging! I *think* I'm serious. (With me it's often hard even for me to tell.) My intuition is that a pitch might get more attention in the off-season. If a Google Trekker is secured, the more Luggers the better!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I've been "strategizing" a bit as well. If you had a partner with a boat to meet you at various docks then resupply logistics could be dramatically simplified as well as move you to a better staging point. Depends a bit on how heavy the latest camera gear is but there is more than camping gear and food to consider. The batteries need recharging and/or swapping out as well as memory modules need swapping out or downloading to another mass storage device. If the Park itself supports you they might very well be willing to participate with aiding with their vessels and personnel. Also, I'm in to help with some of the extra expenses if needed. Lastly, a successful plan would not necessarily need to cover the entire 165 miles.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
TopCarrot
Trailblazer

Post by TopCarrot »

I’d help out however needed too.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

I just noticed tonight the Tobin Harbor webcam has been taken down and a Rock Harbor webcam is now up although it was inactive at the moment. The description stated it overlooked the visitor center and the Ranger III dock. I'm looking forward for the camera to go active sometime soon.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

The "Rock Harbor Webcam" appears to just be a renamed "Tobin Harbor Webcam". It's up for me right now and is showing the same thing that the Tobin Harbor cam has for the last week or two (that is, a view west that shows both Rock Harbor and Tobin Harbor).
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Other than knowing the camera is aimed generally towards the west, what is this periodic nightlife?
Windigo Web Cam20200808001.png
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

The lights in the water? Anchored boats?