Isle Royale Webcams

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Isle Royale Webcams

Post by Tom »

I know they added WIndigo a while back (last year?) but I hadn't checked Tobin lately. Looks like Midwest Ed may have gotten his wish to replace it or move it, because the current image seems much better and the camera also seems to be pointing in a different direction than I remember. Enjoy your favorite island from your chair.

https://www.nps.gov/isro/learn/photosmu ... ebcams.htm
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Isle Royale Webcams

Post by Vandy »

There was an entry on the Facebook page that the Mott Island one is targeted for an upgrade by the end of next week. It is currently out of commission due to a thunderstorm earlier in the week.
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

When I was on Mott a couple years ago I went and found it and took a picture. She looked due for an update back then, too... Glad to know it's getting a refresh!
MottCamera.jpg
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Who says "complaining to city hall" doesn't work? Actually, I only sent 3 or 4 polite emails over the last year or so offering observations and suggestions. They always responded promptly and thankfully. It's nice to see they've been able to upgrade to much better quality cameras with better locations and a new one as well. Now we'll see if the solar charging and battery storage systems reliability has changed. Nature and especially snow cover always have the last say of course. Check out the new Mott Island camera and location. It's been moved to the taller radio tower and at at a higher elevation.

Now we can work on getting the 165+ miles of total trail length (and maybe even some paddling routes) recorded for Google Street View Trekker using the backpack cameras as has been done for many hard to reach spots including other national park wilderness areas like the Grand Canyon street view.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

The new Mott Island webcam is definitely on a manually controlled positioning swivel or gimbal. It's been in three different major positions (that I've seen). They must move it around a bit more often and then try to return it to a home position. It's never quite the same one though.

I'm still in lock down with a lot of time on my hands. :oops:
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:13 pm The new Mott Island webcam is definitely on a manually controlled positioning swivel or gimbal. It's been in three different major positions (that I've seen). They must move it around a bit more often and then try to return it to a home position. It's never quite the same one though.

I'm still in lock down with a lot of time on my hands. :oops:
According to a FB post it can do 360 deg and is positioned out from the tower on an arm. Obviously the tower would be in the view at some point.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:12 pmAccording to a FB post it can do 360 deg and is positioned out from the tower on an arm. Obviously the tower would be in the view at some point.
Definition of 360 could be swivel only (only horizontal). A gimbal would allow some vertical adjustment.

There's also a long narrow smudge slightly below the center point extending to the right. Next time their tower climber goes up I hope he can clean it.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:59 pm There's also a long narrow smudge slightly below the center point extending to the right. Next time their tower climber goes up I hope he can clean it.
That was pointed out on FB too, so they're aware of it.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Bobcat1
Bushwacker

Post by Bobcat1 »

Last year I discovered that the city of Houghton has webcams too, and several of them give views of the Ranger III coming and going from the HQ dock.
https://www.mtu.edu/webcams/view/
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Midwest Ed wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:23 pm Now we can work on getting the 165+ miles of total trail length (and maybe even some paddling routes) recorded for Google Street View Trekker using the backpack cameras as has been done for many hard to reach spots including other national park wilderness areas like the Grand Canyon street view.
This might be my dream summer job! Do you have any idea how much the cameras weigh? Because this is the 21st century, I'm assuming that they pan on their own, but having to stop every meter to rotate the thing myself might also diminish the fun.
Tom
Forum Moderator

Post by Tom »

The Tobin Harbor camera must also be a PTZ (Pan-Tilt-Zoom) model, since either it got knocked by the wind, or I'm seeing more of Rock Harbor (and a little bit of Snug Harbor, by the looks of it) than before.
Good times!

Edit: And... it's moved back. Apparently the game is to see how often someone tweaks it!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

torpified wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:36 am
Midwest Ed wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:23 pm Now we can work on getting the 165+ miles of total trail length (and maybe even some paddling routes) recorded for Google Street View Trekker using the backpack cameras as has been done for many hard to reach spots including other national park wilderness areas like the Grand Canyon street view.
This might be my dream summer job! Do you have any idea how much the cameras weigh? Because this is the 21st century, I'm assuming that they pan on their own, but having to stop every meter to rotate the thing myself might also diminish the fun.
I did a bit of research. I was surprised the first things Google showed me were of the older system from 5 to 6 years ago. It was a 42.5 lb setup with an 8 hour battery. Looks like one might need a partner to share the burden of the life support essentials in a place like Isle Royale.

2014 Youtube - How to Become a Google Trekker

2015 Youtube - Want To Wear This Street View Backpack?

Then I found this newer, apparently lighter setup but unfortunately this article has no specs. It does though have a link to an actual Google link to apply to borrow the equipment.

I (and many more I'm sure) will do whatever we can to assist in the endeavor. It appears they might pay at least $15+ per hour.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Midwest Ed wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:29 pm

I did a bit of research. I was surprised the first things Google showed me were of the older system from 5 to 6 years ago. It was a 42.5 lb setup with an 8 hour battery. Looks like one might need a partner to share the burden of the life support essentials in a place like Isle Royale.

2014 Youtube - How to Become a Google Trekker

2015 Youtube - Want To Wear This Street View Backpack?

Then I found this newer, apparently lighter setup but unfortunately this article has no specs. It does though have a link to an actual Google link to apply to borrow the equipment.

This is very intriguing! I may have a strategy for procrastinating during the oncoming school year: trying to figure out what it would take to make this happen. Presumably, some coalition of Google Trekker Luggers and luminaries (the people who run the park? the people who run IRKPA?) who have the standing to lodge credible requests for the equipment . . . (I wonder how waterproof it is?)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

torpified wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:34 pmThis is very intriguing! I may have a strategy for procrastinating during the oncoming school year: trying to figure out what it would take to make this happen. Presumably, some coalition of Google Trekker Luggers and luminaries (the people who run the park? the people who run IRKPA?) who have the standing to lodge credible requests for the equipment . . . (I wonder how waterproof it is?)
I agree it appears that getting more "prestigious" people or organizations to support this effort would be advantageous to success. The Google resources are obviously limited or at least well supervised. There are many people that may never see the top of the Greenstone Ridge again (like probably me) and many more that will never have even the opportunity. The recent upgrades and expansion of the webcams demonstrate the Park management is responsive to supporting this type of technology promotion. The aspects of "least visited", "most return visitors" and "unique remoteness" all can play into convincing the Google people to get on board.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tom wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:11 pm The Tobin Harbor camera must also be a PTZ (Pan-Tilt-Zoom) model, since either it got knocked by the wind, or I'm seeing more of Rock Harbor (and a little bit of Snug Harbor, by the looks of it) than before.
Good times!

Edit: And... it's moved back. Apparently the game is to see how often someone tweaks it!
It's also showing the lights of a boat or two over-nighting at the dock, I'm assuming due to the closure of the marina.
Tobin Harbor Web Cam20200721001.png