First to sail a Sunfish Sailboat around Isle Royale???

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Adventures In Reach
NewbieCake

First to sail a Sunfish Sailboat around Isle Royale???

Post by Adventures In Reach »

I just returned from sailing my Sunfish Sailboat to and around Isle Royale from August 24th-30th. I was having fun and making videos for my YouTube channel: Adventures In Reach. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_FKi ... _as=public
Toward the end I had several people suggest that I may be the first with a Sunfish, and to verify this. So far, nobody has heard of anyone else circumnavigating Isle Royale in a Sunfish. These people include: rangers, Grand Portage Marina owners, other sailors and boaters, and a search online. Please let me know if you know of anyone else who's done this. It certainly wasn't the reason I went, but I guess it would be cool to be the first. Thanks, and happy boating.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: First to sail a Sunfish Sailboat around Isle Royale???

Post by Ingo »

Wow! Guessing you are the first. Looking forward to the videos and would love a trip report! What sort of conditions you experienced, VMG, etc. Had planned to sail camp with a small boat in Rock Harbor this year (hopefully next), but that would be transported on the Ranger II from Houghton and we would stick to protected waters, with perhaps some day sailing out in the open.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I learned to sail on a Sunfish and have sailed Lake Michigan in 4' seas. Looking forward to your video. Hope you did not have to go upwind a lot!!
DSH
NewbieCake

Post by DSH »

Congratulations Adventures In Reach! and thanks for nudging me closer to my own trip there.
I'm new to the site, and not sure where to go with my question (so, no offense intended).

I've never been to Isle Royal, and am looking to buy a "trailer-sailer," like a San Jaun 21 or Catalina 22.
Would you be so kind as to direct me to the right thread/string? If you have any thoughts or experience, I'm listening.
The Sunfish adventure is encouraging, but a very different boat...

'TRANSPORTATION & LODGING' category search turned up no results (that I found, nor did 'CANOEING, KAYAKING & FISHING.'
Am I using the search engine wrong?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

DSH wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:05 am Congratulations Adventures In Reach! and thanks for nudging me closer to my own trip there.
I'm new to the site, and not sure where to go with my question (so, no offense intended).

I've never been to Isle Royal, and am looking to buy a "trailer-sailer," like a San Jaun 21 or Catalina 22.
Would you be so kind as to direct me to the right thread/string? If you have any thoughts or experience, I'm listening.
The Sunfish adventure is encouraging, but a very different boat...

'TRANSPORTATION & LODGING' category search turned up no results (that I found, nor did 'CANOEING, KAYAKING & FISHING.'
Am I using the search engine wrong?
Hi DSH and welcome! If you could start a new thread with specific questions I'd be happy to answer best I can (Canoeing, Kayaking & Fishing sub-forum is the closest). And you probably didn't find anything because it just isn't done much, with a few exceptions.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH