First time visitor

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Kanderson
NewbieCake

First time visitor

Post by Kanderson »

Good morning - I was wondering if i could get some advice - I would like to visit Isle Royale in the middle to late August 2021 with My 30 yr old son , we have never done backpacking and have no supplies at this point. I'm in Minnesota so would be leaving out of Grand Portage and would like to take a seaplane one way and the boat the other so we can have both experiences. I don't wish to put a ton of miles into my trip , my goal is to be able to get to (by water taxi ) a camping spot that could be a home base and we could fish and do day hikes. I realize that you are only allowed to spend a few days at most places so I would love to spend a few days at a few different places and then maybe 2 days at the cottages at the end of our stay we plan on staying for a week or so - With this being said is this a possibility ? is there guided fishing at the lodge ? if you cant bring fuel on the plane how do you get it there ? has there been anyone that has done this and felt like it was worth going even if your not an experienced hiker ? How was the tour boat and are you able just to get off and camp at different locations ? what is the best type of gear to bring (the big 3) for something like this ? would
anyone have thoughts about staying on the Windigo (camper cabins ) then hiking to places maybe to spend the night ? any recommend any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: First time visitor

Post by backwoods doc »

The Greenstone has a lot of great information to orient you:

https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... r_2020.pdf

I would not recommend Isle Royale as your first wilderness backpacking trip.

You would probably have a more enjoyable trip if you were based at the cabins in Windigo or cabins/lodge at Rock Harbor, and could take some very nice day hikes from there.
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Welcome to the forums! (I think I might have suggested you come here from the Facebook group.)

I also strongly recommend doing at least a short backpacking trip somewhere else before coming to Isle Royale. Learn your gear (wherever it comes from), discover what works and what doesn't, see what you forgot and what you don't need. I don't know good options in Minnesota, but a 1 or 2 night trip would be ideal. In Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the Porcupine Mountains would be an excellent beginning trip that is fairly accessible from Minnesota. This is especially true since they have some rental cabins that you could use to approximate the Isle Royale cabin experience.

I'll also reiterate doc's suggestion of staying in a cabins in Windigo or Rock Harbor. Not cheap, but makes life considerably simpler. Also, read the Greenstone newsletter thoroughly -- there are some surprises on the island, even for experienced backpackers.

If you're set on backpacking, you should borrow as much gear as possible. It's likely that you have some friends who will loan you some items, or can find a hiking group nearby that will let you rent them. Even if money is no object, if you buy a full kit of gear, you'll end up with a lot of stuff you will discover doesn't quite work for you and will want to replace.

Here's a concrete suggestion for something you could do on the island, beyond Windigo/Rock Harbor cabins:
  • Take the Voyageur II from Grand Portage and stay on it until McCargoe Cove. Grab a shelter there and set up camp. There is a 3 night stay limit, so you'll have plenty of time.
  • Spend a day or two day-hiking to places like the Minong Mine, Chickenbone Lake, up to the Greenstone ridge, etc. Swim a lot. Enjoy the (rare) fire pit. Fish in Chickenbone. For a longer day hike, go to Lake Richie and fish there. There's plenty to see and do just within day-hiking distance of McCargoe.
  • Jump on the Voyageur II again and take it to Rock Harbor (it only goes one way -- clockwise -- so you will have to do go to Rock before heading back home). Stay there overnight, cabin, lodge, or another shelter if you want, and day-hike Scoville Point. It's one of the best trails on the island.
  • Get on the Voyageur II again the next morning and head back to Windigo, then home.
This would give you a relatively easy introduction, keep you near people at all times, but also get you away from Windigo and Rock Harbor to see a bit more of the island.

Another option would be to stop at Windigo, stay there for a few nights with perhaps a dayhike to Grace overlook, and then do an overnight hike to Huginnin Cove (where there are only tent sites, no shelters).

About the Voyageur: You need to make exact reservations for where you will pick it up and be dropped off. You can't just decide to get off (or get on it) without reservations -- so it requires some planning ahead. In particular for being picked up, the Voyageur won't come in to some stops unless someone reserved a pick-up ahead of time -- so you can't count on it just appearing.

Same for cabins and the lodge at Rock Harbor: These need to be reserved well in advance. On the other hand, shelters and campsites can not be reserved -- it's first-come, first-served. That said, you can usually find something and always have the option to share a tent site.

Lots of information -- let us know what questions you have!
newb2019
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by newb2019 »

I can't help with the bulk of your questions, but regarding transportation: the VII is out of Grand Portage, the seaplane out of Grand Marais. If you use both, you won't end quite where you began. If you still want to do both, take the VII out so you can bring fuel. There is fuel on ISRO to be bought, but no guarantees.

We stayed at the Windigo cabins for three nights in 2019. I'm happy to answer questions on that.