Windigo side new gift shop/restaurant

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Windigo side new gift shop/restaurant

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Sadly we missed our trip last year but we heard rumors that a new gift shop/ restaurant were being constructed on the Windigo side. Does anyone know anything about it? Curious where it will be and if it’ll make it more “rock harbor” like. I’m personally a fan of the “quiet” Windigo but I could see how a restaurant and new gift shop would be nice. Any thoughts?
newb2019
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Windigo side new gift shop/restaurant

Post by newb2019 »

They were starting on it when we were there in 2019. It's just past the comfort station. We were told that the old store was going to be converted into additional cabins.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I was told a few years ago that there were significant foundation/structural issues with the old (current?) store. My impression was that the intent was replace the old, but not to add a lot to what was there. It will add to the waterfront area, of course. And maybe a real pizza oven :D? Am curious, too, as to what progress was made last year. I suspect any more camper cabins would be new on the site of the old store, as opposed to the same building, but that's just speculation based on what I was told about the old building.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

i will miss sitting on the deck of the old shop after being out on the trail for a number of days. I have very fond memories of that—even the coffee and frozen pizza tasted great after hiking—and the view was great too!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I don't think it will have a restaurant, per se; probably just food options like the previous store did. I doubt it will be like RH in that capacity, perhaps due to staffing. When I was there this August it looked to be getting close to completion; it's much larger than the previous little shop on the hill and is located near the water, just up from the finger docks and just beyond the showers on the trail to camp. (So left of the dock if you're looking from the lake.)

I didn't think to take any deliberate pictures of it, other than this blurry one from the boat.
WindigoStore.jpg
Based on the overall design, I'm optimistic some form of the deck we have all enjoyed will stay!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

I do have fond memories of meeting and talking "trail" with other hikers right after we finished the minong on that deck. Hopefully it has a similar atmosphere. I do love the charm of windigo. Thanks for all the replies. I guess we will all find out very soon! Starting the countdown to our next trip!
rich
NewbieCake

Post by rich »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm I do have fond memories of meeting and talking "trail" with other hikers right after we finished the minong on that deck. Hopefully it has a similar atmosphere. I do love the charm of windigo. Thanks for all the replies. I guess we will all find out very soon! Starting the countdown to our next trip!
Pretty sure we shared that deck! I remember doing a double take at you guys as I had watched your videos. We had just finished the Feldtmann loop.

Some of the best beer and pizza I've had! I hope the new spot has the same feel.
2018: Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Windigo
2019: Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin, West Chickenbone, Rock Harbor
2022: Moskey Basin, Lane Cove
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

rich wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:07 pm
thesneakymonkey wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm I do have fond memories of meeting and talking "trail" with other hikers right after we finished the minong on that deck. Hopefully it has a similar atmosphere. I do love the charm of windigo. Thanks for all the replies. I guess we will all find out very soon! Starting the countdown to our next trip!
Pretty sure we shared that deck! I remember doing a double take at you guys as I had watched your videos. We had just finished the Feldtmann loop.

Some of the best beer and pizza I've had! I hope the new spot has the same feel.
Yes! That is one of my favorite memories of that trip! I agree, and I also hope it has the same feel and the same pizza + beer! :D

We are headed back this year to do the Feldtmann and the Hug cove loops this year.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

i will miss sitting on the deck of the old shop after being out on the trail for a number of days. I have very fond memories of that—even the coffee and frozen pizza tasted great after hiking—and the view was great too!
JerryB, I concur with you! I have fond memories of sitting on that deck drinking a cup of coffee, visiting with fellow backpackers, and enjoying the great view of Washington Harbor!
We are headed back this year to do the Feldtmann and the Hug cove loops this year.
The sneakymonkey, you and your husband will enjoy this route! It is one of the nicest routes on the island I believe, and I think it is underrated. Feldtmann Lake is one of my favorite tent camp sites and Rainbow Cove is a must do! Hugginin Cove is a beautiful place to see the sun set over Lake Superior.

Reading through this thread reminded me of a previous thread on this forum. I remembered seeing a good picture posted of the new store at Windigo. I searched and you will find the picture here:

The original thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4327&p=28412&hilit= ... ore#p28412
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

kolo wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:16 pm
The sneakymonkey, you and your husband will enjoy this route! It is one of the nicest routes on the island I believe, and I think it is underrated. Feldtmann Lake is one of my favorite tent camp sites and Rainbow Cove is a must do! Hugginin Cove is a beautiful place to see the sun set over Lake Superior.

Reading through this thread reminded me of a previous thread on this forum. I remembered seeing a good picture posted of the new store at Windigo. I searched and you will find the picture here:

The original thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4327&p=28412&hilit= ... ore#p28412
Raibow cove is on the "must see" list. Thanks for sharing that post. The picture is the first I have seen! Looks like a nice little deck and a goodsized store. :)