One word for Isle Royale National Park

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

One word for Isle Royale National Park

Post by Grandpa »

I just finished reading Leave Only Footprints by Conor Knighton, a CBS correspondent who visited all the national parks in one year.

I was surprised to see most of an entire chapter devoted to Isle Royale.

In each chapter, he groups several parks under a single-word commonality. Some are obvious; Volcanoes, Canyons, Caves, … Others are teasers; Light, Mystery, Sound, …

I tried to guess the word for Isle Royale; Wilderness? Ibuprofen? …

Nope. He grouped IRNP with Virgin Islands NP and Olympic NP under the word “DISCONNECTING”.

I guess I can see that. I’ve heard visitors comment about how nice it is to get away from screens.

I don’t remember hearing any objections when IRNP installed WiFi in the lodge; it’s not “wilderness” there anyway. But imagine if the park installed a cell tower on Mt Ojibway. Some might argue that it could be life-saving in an emergency. Others might say it would ruin the ambience. If visitors saw 5 bars, could they resist calling home or checking work emails? Any thoughts pro or con?
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: One word for Isle Royale National Park

Post by dcclark »

Thanks for pointing out this book. I hadn't heard about it before. Would you recommend it?

Here's something I wrote after an Isle Royale trip, although it would apply to a lot of other wilderness areas too (especially the Porkies for me):

"There is a rhythm to backpacking. I enjoy the way my mind is forced to focus on the daily necessities of filtering water, hiking to the next stop, setting up camp, making food, sleeping, taking down camp, and repeating -- all within the confines of sunrise and sunset. The necessities silence any worries -- any concern about emails or projects or class prep or grading -- and let me enjoy the trip. I love this rhythm and the way it forces me to live in the moment of the trip, enjoy what I have, and not let my brain spin on other things."

I don't mind wifi at the lodge, for exactly the reason you say. Cell access would really cause me trouble. Even just knowing that it's available changes something about my thinking -- whether or not I turn on the phone and try to check. I've experienced this while car camping at some other parks, where the sense of disconnection isn't quite as total as I get when backpacking in a less-connected place like Isle Royale.
pixtory
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by pixtory »

I agree that I wouldn't want cell service available. I would be tempted to check-in, which would not be the same experience as telling everyone "Sorry, I'll be off the grid." Even if I managed to resist the temptation, it would still force me to think about it. I'd much rather it stayed wild. And WiFi at the lodge is fine with me - people staying there are having a different experience. Besides, it's so slow as to be almost useless anyway!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/someboldadventure/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVdhjH ... it2ycX6xUg
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Unsoilicited review of Leave Only Footprints---despite being blind with envy that it wasn't my job to visit all the national parks and write about them, I liked it pretty well, especially for its yield of strange facts and apt observations.

I also have no problem with the lodge WiFi, but would rue cell phone coverage that exceeded the bounds of the developed areas, and for exactly the reasons already stated: that kind of connectivity would interfere with the wonderful kind of being there that overtakes me on backcountry trips. Of course, it could also be lifesaving to have an island-wide cell phone signal, a consideration which should probably take precedence over my aesthetic! When the time comes, and it will come, I'll try to gird myself to regard using the phone phonewise as an option so remote that it has no impact on my direct experience of the trip. I will fail.
Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Grandpa »

I enjoyed Leave Only Footprints too. It’s a commentary; not a travel guide – think Travels with Charlie, not Rand McNally. It’s well-written and entertaining; an easy “summer read”.
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:43 pm I enjoyed Leave Only Footprints too. It’s a commentary; not a travel guide – think Travels with Charlie, not Rand McNally. It’s well-written and entertaining; an easy “summer read”.
At this point in the pandemic, all I need is light reads! That, and to actually be able to go backpacking this summer.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I think there has been discussion about putting "tower or towers" At Ojibway and Ishpeming tower (not sure what would be needed to cover the park).
I know there has been similar conversations at other parks (including Yellowstone). My concern is the person at the campground on their phone conducting a meeting and the like.
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

I think there has been discussion about putting "tower or towers" At Ojibway and Ishpeming tower (not sure what would be needed to cover the park).
I know there has been similar conversations at other parks (including Yellowstone). My concern is the person at the campground on their phone conducting a meeting and the like.
John, I really hope that this never happens. Can't we have at least one place in the world where we don't have phones/cell service and the intrusive ways people use them? I am a fan of Edward Abbey and I fear what Abbey termed "Industrial Tourism."
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I have absolutely no knowledge of what it would take to add cell technology to the Ojibway or Isphpeming towers. But I imagine a cell transmitter would require an energy source, all of the equipment would have to be carried in on foot, and would have to be regularly serviced. Not sure if the Park Service would try such an undertaking, especially since the transmitters would be in a designated wilderness area. Unless some provider like Verizon or AT&T would pay for it. Even then, I don't know.

But someday? Technology will steadily improve making cell phone transmitters easy and cheap to do....anywhere. But who knows when.
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

But someday? Technology will steadily improve making cell phone transmitters easy and cheap to do....anywhere. But who knows when.
Hopefully, not at Isle Royale though. I go to Isle Royale for lots of reasons. One reason is to get away from cell phones and computer screens. The island is special and it is my favorite place to go. If "progress" gets to the point where all the usual amenities are built/added to increase visitation for the sake of increasing visitation, Isle Royale will certainly cease to be the special place it is and my favorite place to go.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Interesting topic. I have mixed feelings. I too love the solitude and being disconnected. I suppose with cell coverage, i could remain disconnected; it would be my choice, although i get the temptation issue. Even the safety argument has two sides. The “pro” is obvious; it could be a life saver. But would there be unintended consequences? I find IR tends to weed out the unprepared, so there are fewer dumb mistakes made by visitors. Would cell coverage break that and would some visitors develop an expectation that all they need to do it call for help? (I remember a story about the Grand Canyon where a hiker called for a helicopter rescue because the water tasted “funny”!) I also share the concern about meetings being held at camp sites. Several years ago, i went with a friend. He found a signal above Malone Bay and called the office, which did spoil the mood somewhat. On the other hand, there have been times when i really wanted to check in at home on some issue.
I guess i did not solve this issue!
backwoods doc
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by backwoods doc »

I finally bought a small satellite messenger for safety reasons. In addition to sending out a distress call, it also allows for a small number of texts (there's limited battery life). My wife has already let me know that she'd rather not hear from me during the week I'm on the island. Not sure if I should be concerned about that...
2018, 2019, 2021 (all inland lakes by canoe); 2022 X2 (RH and WC); 2023 HC
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Obviously there’s a benefit (safety) but personally I think the island would lose some of its charm for me if they installed a cell tower. I like the remoteness and the ability to disconnect. My career choice has me tied to my phone and if I have cell service I’ll be working whether or not I want to be. I love putting out that auto reply email message saying I will have No Service for 10 days ;) a garmin (delorme) inreach is plenty enough connection for me. Limited messaging. Family only. No wifi. No email. Safety ensured.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

A Garmin is all i need as well. One time, my son (in the Army) was waiting for new orders and i was anxious to hear where he would be going. I wish i had coverage that time. (Actually, i was at Rock Harbor at that moment and a kind guest at the lodge shared the wi-fi password at the time (‘bullwinkle”) so i was able to connect anyway.) If i had to wager, my bet would be on some coverage being provided. My guess is NPS will err on the side of safety, but who knows?

I do carry my phone on the island, but only because it is my primary camera!
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

I love putting out that auto reply email message saying I will have No Service for 10 days ;) a garmin (delorme) inreach is plenty enough connection for me. Limited messaging. Family only. No wifi. No email. Safety ensured.
Kudos to you sneakymonkey! I like your attitude and solution!

For those who worry about having the relative safety of a cell phone, I think people survived just fine for a long time before the invention of the cell phone, including those who visited Isle Royale in the last 60+ years. If you are that afraid of something terrible happening, then you probably shouldn't go to the island or you should use the other communication/safety options mentioned on this forum.

Whatever happened to adventuring on nature's terms? Unfortunately, I have to solo most of my adventures because I don't have friends who have enough time off to join me. As a result, I have backup plans and I try to do everything I can to mitigate the risks. Of course that planning has become much more important as I have had Multiple Sclerosis for six years now. I cannot backpack anymore and thus I am doing canoe trips to the island. I have become more receptive to and grateful for the kindness of strangers!

On my last trip to Isle Royale, I spent seven days there. From there I drove three days through Ontario, Canada to New York state without any cell service. I went a blissful ten days without my cell phone and survived just fine!