How busy is the busy season

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

mike2000
NewbieCake

How busy is the busy season

Post by mike2000 »

What is considered "busy" during the season between july 15 - aug 15th. We're looking to do the Minong hike during this time and never being on the island should I expect over crowding? Would anyone recommend from past expericence trying to find another time to schedule the trip? We are limited by dates due to vacation time conflicts with our employers.
psolimyn
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: How busy is the busy season

Post by psolimyn »

i was there for the entire summer in 2002. the busiest it ever got was in that time frame. there were over 100 people in rock harbor for dinner service one night. very busy compared to the rest of the summer but pretty dead compared to the other parks. course you have to consider it was a boat day and a lot of people were arriving while the rest were departing.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Doing the Minong, should not be as "crowded". I hear stories of camp sites doubling and trippling up durin the busy season in the past. With the economy being what it is, I wonder how busy it will be??
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't worry too much. "Overcrowding" on Isle Royale generally means you may pass 10 people on a 12 mile hike instead of 2 and you may have to double up in a campsite - but since the campgrounds along the Minong only have a few sites each, that's still not many people. You may also have the whole campground to yourself. The East end gets the most traffic, and a lot of that "rush" period is going to be Lodge and Housekeeping visitors. Just make sure to get your transportation reservations in ASAP, since that is the limiting factor.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I agree with all the above posts. How "busy" Isle Royale is is relative, but I still take that in effect when I plan my trips, too.

In regards to foot traffic, if I'm go to a party of the island that usually sees more people on a regular basis in terms of accessibility or difficulty of the terrain (such as Rock Harbor, Washington Creek/Windigo, Chippewa, McCargoe, etc), I pick early-season. Early season in these areas means that instead of a full campsite, it's only half-full, and instead of seeing 12 people on the trail, you only see two (as mentioned above).

If you're going to an area that's harder to get to or is located along more difficult terrain--such as the Minong--you'll be okay with going nearly any time of the season, although again, you may see 14 people on the Minong in July instead of 4 in the early spring. The Minong is not an easy trail, and it's advertised as such, meaning that people are less likely to traverse it at any given time of year. Plus, it will be hot as crap on the Minong in July!

And of course, early season trips means more flexibility with transport out to the island, but you apparently already know that.