Frist-timers! JUNE 17-21 mom, dad 2 college aged sons

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

KateBB
NewbieCake

Frist-timers! JUNE 17-21 mom, dad 2 college aged sons

Post by KateBB »

Celebrating 29th annvsy, 'lightweight' outdoorsmen [ glacier pk 7 yes ago] staying at Lodge after arrvg on royal queen, boat tours and fishing charter desired. Most rooms booked thru August, open to reccdms, I have 2 knee replacements so 'big hikes' n/a but boys may want 2 kayak. Where do I get these headnets due 2 black flies? Do you wear over BB hats? Bringing rain gear, hiking boots, bug spray & heavy sweats 4 evenings, what else is reccdmd?
Any disct codes or promo codes appreciated, CHICAGO natives so overnight reqd in copper harbor area. What is likelihood of cottage cancelation? Thanks!
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Frist-timers! JUNE 17-21 mom, dad 2 college aged sons

Post by Bobcat1 »

Secure your lodging on the island first. If you are not able to camp, then you really cannot come to the island without lodging reservations. You may have to alter your dates to get the lodging to work.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I find a headnet over a wide brimmed hat works best--keeps it off the face. I just go with the cheapest ones--Walmart, Dicks, REI should all have them.
Best hike is the Stoll Trail out to Scoville Pt. 4 mi round trip from the lodge, but flat and easiest trail on the island--and maybe the prettiest.

I'm sure you'll enjoy any of the boat tours. The Edisen Fishery/Lighthouse tour is the easiest hiking wise, with short walk from the dock to the lighthouse (1/4 mile maybe). The Hidden Lake/Lookout Louise tour has about a 1 mile hike up to the top of the ridge (and back)--you could give it a go and turn around early if need be. Similarly the Passage Island tour has a 1 mile hike (and back) from the dock to the lighthouse with a decent climb in the middle--but if it's questionable on the knees I'd probably not recommend it unless you just like the boat ride. I'm not sure what the trail on Raspberry Island is like.

Hope you have a great trip and anniversary!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I agree with Bobcat. You'll need to get your lodging on the island squared away first, in conjunction with the ferry services or plane schedules. Then plan the rest of it based on that. I personally wouldn't count on a cancellation for your lodging. I'd urge you to look at what's available now and get it booked along with your transportation to the island.

I'm unaware of any discount or promo codes related to the transportation or lodging on the island.

Just in case you don't already have them, here are the links to the transportation providers with which you'll need to coordinate:

https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... rvices.htm

The Ranger and Queen are the ferry services that are based in the UP (Different towns, so take that into account) Sea Hunter and Voyageur sail out of Grand Portage in MN. The Voyageur also circumnavigates the island, so you could take the queen to Rock Harbor, stay there, take the Voyageur to Windigo and fly back off the island from there. That might let you mix and match lodging and/or see more of the island.