1st Trip Ever, August 21-28

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Andyroo57
NewbieCake

1st Trip Ever, August 21-28

Post by Andyroo57 »

Hey,
So its been a dream of mine to get to visit Isle Royale and I think I have my wife talked into visiting August 21st-28th which will technically be our honeymoon. We plan to camp and I spoke with ranger station so I know about the boat permits and camping permits. We go to Voyaguers National Park and I have been 20 miles out on Superior and Michigan before. We love to camp and fish. Hiking is a medium priority as well.

Anyways we have 20' boat and plan to access the park from Grand Portage. What I was looking for is possibly getting in touch with someone going around the same time to communicate with via marine radio if possible or team up with in some way shape or form. I know a majority of people travel in the buddy system and I might seek out some friends to see if I can get them to come along in their own boat, but I figured I'd have a better chance finding someone here. Thanks!

-Andrew
Last edited by Andyroo57 on Sun May 09, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: 1st Trip Ever, August 21-28

Post by Midwest Ed »

Two thoughts:

1) If you departed from Grand Portage instead of Grand Marais you could then follow either the Voyageur II or the Sea Hunter ferry.

2) You could trailer to Houghton and hire the NPS Ranger III to take your boat over ($150 one-way).
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Andyroo57
NewbieCake

Re: 1st Trip Ever, August 21-28

Post by Andyroo57 »

Midwest Ed,
Ah yes. Brain fart on my end. We would plan to leave from Grand Portage, not Grand Marais like I had originally written. I really like the idea of following Voyaguer II or Sea Hunter Ferry. I looked up the Grand Portage to Isle Royale transportation dates and found Sea Hunter leaves Grand Marais on Saturday August 21st at 8:30 AM and will depart Windigo Saturday August 28th at 2:00 PM!

-Andrew