Campground question

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Campground question

Post by jerry »

In a recent Trip Report I noticed that Wash. Creek had a lot of visitors/campers. My question is, now that we're at the end of June, are the campgrounds still having a lot of campers? I'm interested especially in Washington Creek, Belle Island and Rock Harbor CGs. Are they having a lot of folks and are there any spots that one can put up a tent?
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Re: Campground question

Post by Ingo »

Can't imagine things lessening up as the summer goes on. A lot is just luck of the day--our 1st night at Moskey it was overflowing, the next night no tent sights were used. As for tent sites, I remember a couple along the trail into the Washington Creek CG. Belle Isle, the last time I was there I couldn't find the tent sites they were so overgrown--maybe never used. With the 6 shelters, doubt it's ever full (or very rarely). RH has lots of tent sites. The new Covid rules this year allow for backcountry camping without a permit if the campgrounds are full, since they recommending not sharing shelters. And apparently some group sites are designated as overflow--not sure if they're limiting group permits or what.

For Washington Creek specifically, it seems that there's more first timers going for just a couple days, so I wonder if it's getting more pressure from basecamping without backing than in the past--just speculating.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

Kind of think this year is atypical regarding camping. Last year saw virtually no visitors. This year seems to be a catch-up year. But to your point, time of year has a lot to do how busy the campgrounds are. Back in 2014, I stayed at Washington Creek right after Labor Day. I was expecting scads of people and it turned out that I had the campground almost to myself. There are ten shelters at Washington Creek, and only two were occupied.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I think a number of people started “let’s visit all the national parks” during shutdown, and are getting around to IsRo. Typically not backpackers, but a couple days of camping is possible at Windigo/Washington Creek. That’s what I would do under the circumstances. RH is much more expensive and difficult to visit because of the longer ferry rides and the campground’s 1-night limit. WashCreek is 3 nights, which allows a reasonable trip with day hiking,
Also Windigo from Grand Portage is a good fit for visiting several other NPS sites in the region.
As a backpacker, if Washington Creek Seems full, try all the other options and if necessary head 3 miles to Huginin Cove.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Thanks folks! I've never been to Belle Island. I want to do it. I'm ready to get back to "normal". Maybe that's next year. Hoped I could do a trip around the Island this year. I'm the old Jerry, not the other guy. I might have to do the Hug. CG again.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

jerry wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:50 pm Thanks folks! I've never been to Belle Island. I want to do it. I'm ready to get back to "normal". Maybe that's next year. Hoped I could do a trip around the Island this year. I'm the old Jerry, not the other guy. I might have to do the Hug. CG again.
The “other guy” says hi, Jerry!
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

JerryB (the other guy): I hope you, your son and any other family member(s) are all healthy. Maybe someday, I'll get to see you again at ISRO NP. Take care, jerry (the old guy).
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I will be there 8/18-25! Nice to hear from you!