NPCA State of the Parks

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

NPCA State of the Parks

Post by johnhens »

Came across this report recently. Thought it made some interesting reading:
http://www.npca.org/stateoftheparks/gre ... s/isro.pdf

There are also the same type of reviews of the other Midwest NP's on the site.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: NPCA State of the Parks

Post by Nick »

It has always bothered me that much of the history of the island is being lost to deterioration. It is almost impossible to find the cemetery at Island Mine. A couple of years ago, I decided to hunt for old cottages and cabins in the waters and islands around the Belle Isle area. I'd look for the remains of old crib docks and work my way up on shore to see if I could find a building. Many were just foundations, some near collapse, etc. Many had artifacts, etc. I hate to think that much of this is going to be lost. I know the park has a policy of letting some of the old squatter camps go, but I wonder what will be lost. Sigh....
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Not enough is done to maintain the history of IR, you're right, Nick. I happen to find that extremely interesting (as do most people on the board, I'm sure). I had no idea there was a cemetery at Island Mine, and I've been there plenty of times. I would of loved to check this out.

Maybe we, as avid IR fans, should do more for the up-keep of the "History" thread here on the forums so that way there is at least a little something being done to document what we can about the history of IR...since the NPS won't be doing it...
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Not much left of the cemetery. Just a picket or two from the fence amid the underbrush. Even with GPS coordinates, it was hard to find. Sad that the memory of the miners who lost their lives there will (or are already) relegated to the past.

And, if you go out to the end of Senter Point on your hike, you'll find what is left of the powder magazine and explosives building for the mining company. There is a steel door there that is amazing.
nmeier_senter1.jpg
nmeier_senter2.jpg
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Nick and fonix, you both bring up good points. The History is as much a part of Isle Royale as the moose and wolves. It seems that the Park Service to some extent would like the lives of the fisherman and their families to "go away". I love reading of the history of the folks who called IR home. They relate to many of us, a life we would have loved to experience.
We can make a difference. We as a community can make a difference by letting the Park Service know how we feel about maintaining the history of the Park. There are many here who love IR and I include myself in that group. It is up to us to voice our opinions about what we value and waht we think IR should be. The fact that you read the various posts here that are about the Island is testament to your strong attachment to that Special Place we have come to call "Home" for a week each year.
I for one am glad that fonix has put this site together so that we can share the various things that we as individuals find out about IR.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

I understand why the Park Service would want to keep Isle Royale, as well as other parks, in their natural, rugged state, however, the local history of those places is what makes them interesting and gives them their own charm and mystique. Yeah, it's nice to hike/backpack in the wilderness and leave behind sights and sounds of modern civilization, but it's also nice to be able to "relive" history by seeing old buildings, cemeteries, points of interest, etc. I too am surprised that they don't make more of an effort at preserving some of these sites. I have hiked out to the Powderhouse at Senter Point and to the schoolhouse/cabin near Chippewa Harbor and they added "something" to the hiking experience. I remember hearing about the cemetery near Island Mine so we looked for it when we passed through there, but we never found it either. Preserving these types of historic icons provides us with a tangible connection to our past (so it is not forgotten) as well as providing great memories for the future.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

I am very pleased to see that many of those who use the park, yet have no connection to some of its recent history, find that history of interest. I'm not exactly sure of the present park administration's adgenda, if any, but some past administrations were very intent on returning the park to nature. I too, feel it is important to note and preserve the recent history (pre national park) of human activity on Isle Royale, it tells an interesting story of lives, people and development of our present United States. For the park service or its spokespeople to have tried to eliminate or ignore the period of time from the 1800's to the 1940's is wrong. The people of the mining, timber, and fish companies had a real presence here, to pretend they didn't exsist and that this island is some pristine wilderness untouched by humans rings of an idealism I can't relate to. It would seem the present administration is realistic about the island's past and has, at least for now, not had any residents removed.
If people feel strongly about the island's recent history they should let the parks interperative arm know about it. Input is always welcome and may help shape the future of the park. Not that I want to see the park turn into a developed area, I don't, I want it to remain wilderness. I would like to see a lodging facility at Windigo as there used to be, it would help visitor numbers, but not affect the back country density. I hope through the input from all park users that this history can be preserved and shared.