Why Isle Royale?

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Why Isle Royale?

Post by Ingo »

fonixmunkee wrote:Very good read, Ingo, thanks very much. Being in Rock Harbor and seeing the people working there, I've always wondered what it would be like to live there. Are the employee dorms still the same ones as back in '79?
Yep, still the same (unless they built a new one since '05).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by trailgoat »

Great stuff, Ingo. Thanks for sharing your stories. This thread accomplished exactly what I'd hoped it would---a lot of great memories to get us all revved-up for the upcoming season! I truly cannot wait to set foot on the Rock Harbor dock on July 11th!

Thanks everyone for contributing to this. Keep the thoughts and memories coming! :)
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

Excellent stories Ingo! Thanks so much for sharing. I wish I could spend a whole summer out on the island. Sounds like you had a few close calls for sure! My close encounter with a moose was also at Chippewa Harbor in 2006. It was 2:30 am and we were awakened by a bull and cow well uhhh...how do I put this....it was October and the rutting season, does that explain it? It was pitch dark and we could hear loud noises coming from them and literally felt the ground shake as they trampled by very close to our tent! The 3 of us were just praying they would not trample the tent and us.
Bill Spears
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Bill Spears »

Did You Know?
Although the yearly number of visitors to Isle Royale is less than Yellowstone receives in a day, the Island's per acre backcountry use is the highest of all National Parks in the United States.

(nps.gov)
This.

I.R. is such a different vision for what a national park can be, and what the park service can provide. The folks you meet there are like-minded individuals who respect nature and enjoy an authentic experience out-of-doors.

Call me elitist if you must, but I have little desire to associate with Yellowstone tourists who prod junior to feed Yogi a PBJ sandwich in order to get a photo of a bear.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Bill Spears wrote:
(nps.gov)
This.

I.R. is such a different vision for what a national park can be, and what the park service can provide. The folks you meet there are like-minded individuals who respect nature and enjoy an authentic experience out-of-doors.

Call me elitist if you must, but I have little desire to associate with Yellowstone tourists who prod junior to feed Yogi a PBJ sandwich in order to get a photo of a bear.
It is amazing to me that this continues to happen with the videos that appear on the news of people who pose with buffalo, elk and even more so bears. What a waste of a good PBJ!!!