Johnhens

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Johnhens

Post by philranger »

John,

I see you are posting again. How was your trip?
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Johnhens

Post by johnhens »

Hey Wally,
The trip went well. We had a Good crew that were able to get the new hardwood floor installed in the Rock Harbor Visitor's Center, which turned out nice and a new roof put on the Sis cabin by niners et all. It was cold and windy, thankfully we were inside. The Park Service was great to work with, they helped us out with some problems we ran into and in general made life much easier and comfortable. We made a trip to Passage Island Lighthouse, something I have wanted to do for a long time. Caught a few lake trout in Tobin Harbor and had fresh fish for dinner-nothing like like fresh lake trout out of the cold Superior water!

Malone Bay was great, we pretty much had it to ourselves for 3 days! Fishing sucked, I caught 1 lake trout. Pike were pretty much non-existant. I did flyfish from my yak, something I was not sure I could do. If you are into birding, IR in Spring is awesome, good variety of warblers pushing through. I'll do a full TR with pics in a few days!

John
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Johnhens

Post by trailgoat »

Welcome back, John. I look forward to your trip report. Malone Bay IS great. One of my favorite places on the island.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau