Using Quotes in messages

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

Richard1961
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Using Quotes in messages

Post by Richard1961 »

How do you Quote only part of a post? When I try to highlight a part of a message it still copies the whole post. It is probley simple dimple, but sometime computers don't like me. Richard
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Using Quotes in messages

Post by Rafiki »

Hey Richard,

You have to highlight the area you want to quote, right click your mouse and select "copy". Click the post reply button to begin your reply. One the empty message box is displayed, right below where is shows your subject box is a list of options that shows B for bold, i for italics, u for underline, and immediately following that option is the quote button. Click it. Once you do something like this will appear [ quote] TYPE HERE [/quote ] except there will not be written "TYPE HERE" in between the quote boxes. You will have to paste what you have copied in between where it says "TYPE HERE". Furthermore, the will not be a space between the first [ and the letter q and the last ] and the letter e. I had to put those spaces there, otherwise if I didn't, it would have quoted me saying TYPE HERE. Watch as I copy and quote what I have written so far.
Hey Richard,

You have to highlight the area you want to quote, right click your mouse and select "copy". Click the post reply button to begin your reply. One the empty message box is displayed, right below where is shows your subject box is a list of options that shows B for bold, i for italics, u for underline, and immediately following that option is the quote button. Click it. Once you do something like this will appear [ quote] TYPE HERE [/quote ] except there will not be written "TYPE HERE" in between the quote boxes. You will have to paste what you have copied in between where it says "TYPE HERE". Furthermore, the will not be a space between the first [ and the letter q and the last ] and the letter e. I had to put those spaces there, otherwise if I didn't, it would have quoted me saying TYPE HERE. Watch as I copy and quote what I have written so far.
or look what happens if I didn't put spaces between the brackets like I mentioned above when I wrote "TYPE HERE"
TYPE HERE
Pretty simple stuff huh? If you don't want to hit the button, you could always type what the button gives you when you press it if you realize you want to quote something after you typed it rather than copying and pasting it between the quote brackets that are exhibited after you press the button. If this sounds confusing or if you need more help, just specify where you are getting lost or where I can be more detailed about something. Hope some of this makes some sense though :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

look what happens if I didn't put spaces between the brackets like I mentioned above when I wrote "TYPE HERE"
I see said the blind man.
Pretty simple stuff huh?
Thanks much. Richard
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

Thanks again. What I was doing was highlighting what I wanted to copy then I was hitting the Quote buton in the top righthand corner of the message. This would copy the entire post and I could not figure out why it did that instead of what I highlighted. Richard
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Glad I could be of assistance Richard :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

You can also use the "quote" button and trim it to just what you want. Tom-ay-to/tom-ah-to...
|| Jess ||